Massive Earthquakes Leave Hundreds Dead or Missing

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
There has been a great deal of seismic activity in SE Asia over the past 12 hours. More than 18 quakes, with magnitudes of 5.7 to 8.9 have been recorded by the USGS in just the last 12 hours.

Refer: http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/ for details. Damage and casualty reports are just coming in, but initial reports are that loss of life throughout the region is extensive.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The bid one, located just off the northwest coast of Sumatra is the fifth largest earthquake in the world since 1900. A monster quake, the USGS reports, “Many people killed by tsunamis in Sri Lanka and Thailand. Tsunamis also observed on the coasts of Maldives, Cocos Island and Sumatra. Felt widely in northern Sumatra. Also felt in Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore and Thailand.”

Feelhip

Apr 15, 2004
Boston - USA
Roy,
We have seen that on TV here in Boston. What a terrible thing to see. I must admit that I will think twice in having a house at beach level now. Although it is impossile to predict this kind of desaster, it is a big price to pay to have your feet in the water.

Philippe

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
Let us pray for all the victims...

Some of my friends are living in Phuket, I do hope that they are alright! Nothing heard yet from them...

One hope....

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
How is it in Bali? more to the point the Gilli Islands? My brother is there and i havnt heard from him yet? But there again he's probably still sleeping off his christmas over indulgence of beer and turkey.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bali was not effected by this quake or the tidal waves. Maurits, I guess you already know that Phuket was hit pretty hard by the tidal waves. I think I speak for us all with wishes and prayers that your friends there are OK.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
In the hours since the devastating quake that was centered just off the west coast of Sumatra, there have been 25 aftershocks ranging in scale from 5.4 to 7.3. This link provides much information: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/

The news from Aceh is very bad, and I’m particularly concerned about our friends on Nias, which is very close to the epicenter of this quake.

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
It good to know that Bali and the Gilli Islands have neen unaffected I will let my mother know as she's starting to panic about noy hearing from my brother for a couple of days!

The pictures we are getting back in the Uk are extremly upsetting.
I hope all your friends and loved ones are OK