Malaysian DJ arrested for possession

balinews

A popular local deejay has been languishing in a prison in Indonesia for the past year over alleged possession of psychotropic pills in front of a leading hotel in Bali.

Kevin Arokiasamy, 39, popularly known as "Lil Kev", was once part of the famous "Morning Crew" on Hitz.fm, alongside "Fly Guy" Saufian Mokhtar, who shot to fame in early 2000.

He was expected to be sentenced soon after he was caught with 2.4g of syabu and Ecstasy pills in front of Harmony Hotel in Bali.

Bali police arrested Arokiasamy with an Indonesian woman, identified as Juwita Rendiana, 28, and seized 0.2g of crystal methamphetamine (syabu) in a plastic bag from his pocket in December 2008.

The remaining drugs were found in a mobile phone box in his bag.

Police also seized a bundle of Malaysian currency and a digital weighing scale.

Indonesian police have since charged Arokiasamy under their anti-narcotics law, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years' imprisonment and RM139,400 fine upon conviction.

It was learnt that Indonesian police had earlier suspected the couple were dealers but could not charge them due to insufficient evidence.

Read the full story: Popular ex-radio DJ in Bali jail

I remember this guy. I heard him once when I was in taxi on my way to my Villa in Seminyak. Celebrities are really wasted sometimes.

It seems as though the newspaper made a huge mistake with this story. Arokiasamy was released in May last year.

In a letter to the New Straits Times, his lawyers said an article published in the paper on March 1 stating that Arokiasamy was currently incarcerated in a foreign jail since December 2008 was “totally untrue and false”.

“Whilst our client admits that it is true that he was charged and convicted for an offence in relation to the said country’s anti-drug laws... he has since served his sentence and has been back in Malaysia since May 2009,” the letter stated.

It also stated that Arokiasamy had appeared as a guest deejay on a local popular radio station in December last year during the time which the article claimed he was in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats odd, more than 0.5 gram in Bali is not possion, its distribution. throw in the E, the scales, and the bundle of cash and the police had an easy win. 4 months.........? someones smiling.

Back