Location feature added

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Dear All,

I have added a little feature to the forum, when you post on the forum the location of the computer where the post is made from is added to the database, and shown next to the date info of the post.

Look here for more details if you are interested:

http://www.maxmind.com/

I use the free version from the above site, this is a limited version, AOL users, also from France f.i. (sorry Irish) are listed as from the USA, due to the network structure of AOL.

If somebody want to donate a version where I can show more details, even up to geographic coordinates and postal codes, you are welcome.. 8)

So now anonymous users are not so anonymous anymore...

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I'll have to remember not to post from work, Bert. The proxy server is in Switzerland! You'll think I'm a bit of a jetsetter. :D

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
When I'm at home, I dial up through my own ISP, but yes the laptop has been configured to show company registration, so it always looks like I'm at work. :wink:

Lou

Nov 12, 2004
Ubud
Cool Bert! That's the only DB that accurately maps my location to the country level. All of the others including Google, Yahoo, NY Times, Washington Post etc etc and the usual raft load of spammers map me to Hong Kong, for a very good reason. Nonetheless an elegant lookup of the APNIC whois will get it right to Bali, but not yet Ubud. This one is way ahead of the rest and free.