Land in Bali?

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
Bert,

We will shortly be going to Bali and was wondering what to do with our land. Build a house, plant something or leave it bare. As I can't afford to build something right now, my father in law says I should plant Rambutan on it. How does this affect the price of the land if I want to sell it? Will the land be more valuable with an orchard of trees or left alone with nothing on it? We have 10 are of land in Desa Tukad Sumaga in Gerokgak area.
Any ideas of what it's worth also would be appreciated. I think this question should be to Bert but if anyone else has any ideas, please reply.

Cheers, Stu

http://www.dec.org.uk/ - Tsunami Appeal

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Hi Stu,

If you cannot build something right now, I think your father in law is right. But for the "rambutan" I don't think that's a good idea. What about if you plant "durian?" When you get the fruits, you can sell it expensive, and when you want to sell your land, you can sell "durian" woods in the same time. The problem is, "durian" trees is long to grow up 'till you get the fruits. Another plants is vanille, cacao, and coffee. They are very good about the prices to sell. With the vanille plants on it, I bet the value of your land will be very more expensive than other lands around....

Never leave your land empty..

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
Thanks for your reply Iris. I would like to plant something but worry about the affect of tree roots. If I plant trees then one day plan to build a house, I worry about too many roots still in the ground could affect foundations of a house. My father in law has a spring water well which currently feeds someone else with rambutan, and they say he is doing very well. I would like to do something with it because it is currently bare with a single mango tree and nothing else. Vanilla is a good idea but I will probably ending up eating it all.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I don't think the value of your land has something to with what is planted on it. I never heard of such a thing. It may a negotiating thing with locals, but...

(unless it are money trees)

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
Cheers, Bert

Any idea how much land costs per are in that area? It has easy access by tarmac road and is close to the centre of Desa Tukad Sumaga.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Beach front?

My guess is that if it is beachfront, among locals the price would be around the 7 million per are mark. If its in the village, it will be a bit more. If its a good spot for doing business, prices may rise steeply.

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
Desa Tukad Sumaga is about 2km inland from Brombong going up towards the hills . There isn't much there, one school, a few shops and not much else. Nice views towards the sea, though. We paid one and a half million per are and hear he might have more land for sale. Do you think we got a good price or should we haggle him down, if we want to buy some more land off him? Sorry about all the questions.

Cheers.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Hi Bert,

7 millions per are infront of the beach is quiet cheap, my land without beach infront now is around 20 millions per are, 'cause the other owners around is foreign peoples!! How lucky harimau got that price.

I recommended vanilla trees, 'cause the price per kilogram of dry vanilla is more than 500 thousand of rupiahs!! Vanilla roots, will not give any effect to the lands. In my place, many foreign peoples paid more expensive with the plantation's on it....