Items going through customs

hicarbon

Jun 23, 2005
Richmond, Va. USA
When flying to Bali and going through customs, what kind of problems will I be facing if I decide to bring my laptop, digital cameras and other assorted items like that? I've looked through a lot of threads that discussed customs and I'm just afraid of finding out that I can't take these, or I'll have seriously high fees that I have to pay.

Also, do they make adapters for use with power connectors on items from the US? I know that when going to Europe I have to use one because the power is different.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
I've brought many many electroncis back and forth to Bali and never had any problems. My handluggage is usually full of cables, wireing, computergadgets, dig.cameras, laptop, pda... and so on and i've never been treated with suspicion. The only time customs asked questions and i had to open up and explain what i'm bringing was when i brought my 5inch motorized schmit-cassegrain telescope with tabletop mounting. It looked quite odd for sure through the x-ray machine... :roll: but as i explained what it was and the use of it.. no problemo! :wink:

Tommy

May 11, 2005
um 220volt with 2 pin connectors here.. hmm i thought US adaptors work on both 110/220volt no? i got alot of gadgets from the US and they work just fine..

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I think so all customs is worried about is extra alcohol, they don't even care much about cigs - in my experience.

JPB

Jan 7, 2003
Perth WA
Last trip in November we had the dreaded white tick for the first time in 25/18years.
The customs person was very polite - "did i mind if they inspected this case" I had no problems (apart from the other cigs scattered around the case in case they counted them).
He went through it carefully and identified what had shown on the Xray.
The Nescafe and Vegemite were together in a plastic bag - this shows up as BLACK on the scanner so they check.
Same thing happened in Aust. on return last year - Bali Kopi - however we had declared it then.
Next time they will be on the top of the pile and not under the underwear thrown in at the last minute 'cos I forgot them
The other person was going through the carry on for extra Df.
And in case you are wondering. Coffee is for early am before the restaurant opens and before we can buy local
And the vegemite is made in Aust. and a different taste to Vegemite available in Bali which is made in NZ with sugar!

Cheers
Juliette