Internet: home or cafe

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Hi,

Could anyone tell me whether you use the Internet from home or warung/cafe. I'd just like to see what's the majority on this.

My husband and I in the near future will be coming to live in Jakarta once he retires. We have purchased a Balinese Villa there (odd not to have it in Bali itself). Well, I know I'd miss having the luxury of having it at home. Is it really that complicated as much as expensive to have the connection in one's own home.

Thanks!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
"Could anyone tell me whether you use the Internet from home or warung/cafe. I'd just like to see what's the majority on this."

Visitors, internet cafes, expats, home...in Bali.

In Jakarta, if you can't easily find the latest and fastest internet connections, then you aren't in Jakarta.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
My husband and I in the near future will be coming to live in Jakarta once he retires

Forgive me I do not mean to be rude but have you not explored what it means to live in Indonesia before coming to retire. If you have bought a home in Jakarta I am presuming you have stayed there or at least in Indonesia for some time, work, tourist etc.

Did you need the Internet then? Did you get involved in day to day living. I find it such a strange question coming from someone who is about to live there. To answer your question. If you can afford it you will have internet in your home. Speeds will vary according to what you want to pay. I would suggest that there are more suitable forums other than this which is mainly about Bali to get exact answers from.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks guys!

Maybe I haven't introduced myself to some of you, especially you, Mr. Jimbo... even though I did so in one of the posts (Hillary, Obama).

I'm an Indonesian lady who has been living most of her life in many countries, therefore, my knowledge of the technology situation in Indonesia is not up to par with you all.
Yes, I do have a large family in Jakarta and quite a few friends in Bali too. However, after so many years of absence, I did visit Jakarta in October 2006 to purchase the house there and noticed that noone seems to have Internet in their homes (these are well-to-do people, mind you). One even said is too expensive. Thus for my question to you folks in Bali who perhaps could say otherwise and I'm glad to hear that it's so easy and inexpensive to have it at home. That was all I wanted to hear.
I hope this site is a free site where everyone can join in as after all, we do have something in common in that we all are connected to either Bali or Indonesia, wouldn't you agree?
I have been in Bali many times before - dare I say - before perhaps any one of you have set foot in this paradise? And to add to that, I even had great, fun and wild time, to say the least.
So hope to have a good interaction with you, happy people!
I discovered this site by browsing in one of the real estate websites, looking for a villa in Bali that I might also intend to buy but dream of for the moment.
Lurking in after a few months, I decided to join only 2-3 days ago as I do love reading some of the posts here as besides it's informative, it also brings me nostalgia of Bali and Indonesia.
Mr. Jimbo...I hope I'm wrong you're not implying that I shouldn't join in?

Anyway, I will try to visit Bali in August as I'm invited to come and stay in one of the beautiful resorts there by the owner. I might come with my husband if he could take the time off working in Dubai and Iran.

Ciao from Milan and arrivederci!

johannes

Jun 5, 2007
Berlin
Hello,

from today I have my internet-connection from an USB-stick "star one" from Indosat. I need no tel.line no flexi etc.
Just buy the stick for 700.000 rp and the loading is similar to handphones. I can load for
50.000 or for 100.000 rp. The hour costs abt. 6.000 rp.

And it is faster than most internet-cafees and hotspots. I have been told from the selling people that this system exists only since 2 months.

Informations: neoTel, Jl. Teuku Umar 888, Denpasar, Tel. 242288

johannes :idea:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
"However, after so many years of absence, I did visit Jakarta in October 2006 to purchase the house there and noticed that noone seems to have Internet in their homes (these are well-to-do people, mind you). One even said is too expensive."

Ah yes, those “well to do” Jakarta folks...all with cell phones and driving BMWs and Mercedes while screaming, “I can’t afford the internet!” :p

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Mr. Jimbo...I hope I'm wrong you're not implying that I shouldn't join in?

Not at all but again I am so suprised that with all those friends and relatives they could not give you an answer. Still I hope you have it now and welcome to here and to join in any discussions. Many folks come in here, ask questions and then once having got what they want go away and never come back. I am sure you are not like that :twisted:

Nige

Dec 3, 2007
Lovina. North Bali
milan said:
Could anyone tell me whether you use the Internet from home or warung/cafe. I'd just like to see what's the majority on this.

Ignoring all this discussion of what you should know or no know, and simply answering your question - many fo the expats around here (but not all) have internet services in their homes.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Johannes and Nige,
I couldn't have asked for a better answer, thanks a lot.

And to answer to Jimbo. Those people in Jakarta mostly use Internet only in their offices and couldn't be bothered to have it at home. Apart from being complicated to subscribe as well as rather steep as cost.
But reading Johannes' reply, it really pleased me to hear how easy it is today.

I surely will return more often!

Terima kasih kepada yang lain2-nya.
Grazie a tutti.
Merci a tous.
Thanks to all.

SoonerInBali

Apr 18, 2007
Singaraja
For home you have a lot of options in Jakarta, but the best is FastNet... http://www.firstmedia.com/fastnet_product.html - I use the 1500 Mbps package that comes with the free modem, it is consistently that speed and hassle free.

If you want to be mobile, there is a free modem offer at Indosat M2, very fast when you get an HSDPA signal - but NOT unlimited unlike Fastnet. http://www.indosatm2.com/index.php/serv ... roadband3g I use it when I'm working in Bali...

Yes the internet at home is not nearly as ubiquitous as it is in western or more advanced countries. Just the way it is, Indonesia is just worlds behind.

Hope that helps

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks, soonerinbali! I definitely jot that down so once I'm in Indonesia, I'll contact them.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Wow, see?!...how important it is to get each one of your advice or input on this.

I'll keep that in mind, Jimbo. Thanks!