Indonesian Law on Muslim Divorce

jvilichka

May 11, 2006
usa
Hello Everyone, Can anyone shed some insight on the laws regarding divorce in indonesia. My husband and I were married in the United States this past april. DH was married for 2 years before and divorced back in 1995. He is presently aboard ship and I am still back here in the USA. He has a Civil Divorce??? but since he is Muslim, I was now told he needs to go to the Taqal? for a muslin divorce before the indonesian body of law will reconize it? What is this all about? and how long does it take to get a muslin divorce? From what I have been told, his exwife has never remarried. Am I his ONLY wife, or am I wife #2?. I can't reach him, to ask, so i'm relying on you guys out there to enlighten me. I would of never known any different, if I had not needed a copy of his divorce papers for USCIS visa forms. Also, where can I get legal documents translated into english in Jakarta. Thanks for all your help
Jackie

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Hi Jacky,

I think your husband must file the divorce application at a district religion court --in indonesia we called it "pengadilan agama" (where he has domicile).

You can contact US embassy for translating the document legally (by sworn translator, The embassy has list of it)

Sorry if i can't help much.
have a nice week end