Home Insurance

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Hi to all readers . I am about to renew my home insurance policy in bali and was wondering from other residents or home owners who do they use to insure their homes with? I'm currently with Asia Wise the service has been great , but I'm wondering if there is anyone else that can offer a quote.
Regards Peter

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Peter, I'm curious. What loss is your home covered for? Does it include flood, fire, earthquake, theft, and liability? Are contents included, and at what percentage of the overall policy? Is an inventoried rider required to cover valuables such as jewelry, fine arts and antiques?

To whom is the policy issued, the land certificate holder, or you?

We have no casualty/property insurance on either of our two houses, as I could never find an adequate carrier. Things change in Bali, so if there is a reasonable carrier, I would love to learn more too.

grastaman

Feb 14, 2005
singapore
i shopped around for a bit a few years back and went with Allianz. i wanted to go with a reputable international insurer.

my main policy (aka PAR for property-all-risks) covers the building and contents for fire, lightning, ..., riot, malicious damage... wind/water....landslide, burglary. it runs about .2% per annum of the insured value.

i also have a addendum policy for earthquake/volcano/tsunami. which runs for about half of the above.

the guy who came out was english, and did not try to push a really high valuation (which is good).... but one that was realistic and practical.

email is [email protected]

i'd assume that iof there are significant valuables, they might have to be registered with them before hand... but the agent best clarify that.

my policy was issued in my name, not the land cert holder.

disclaimer: no claims made yet so no way to assess this part of the service.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
An annual premium rate of .2 percent runs 2 million a year in premium for a house valued at 1 billion rp, or roughly $100,000 US. At .3% for more inclusive insurance, that would be about 3 million a year, again for a house valued at US $100,000. That is not bad, and in line with rates expected in the West. Allianz, as you say, is a well recognized and regarded company.

It seems as though Bali has been professionally evaluated on risk potential by knowledgeable actuarial/underwriters. Too bad in a way, as I always considered this as a “fall back” position if my current endeavors didn’t work out.

A key point to mention for other readers, is that the value of land is NOT considered in insuring property. Homeowner's insurance covers loss to the erected structures, including out buildings, and their contents...normally deemed as usual contents. Contents are generally covered at one-half of the coverage for the structures. On some policies, this may be less. If their value is higher, then normally a separate rider is required, along with additional premiums, to cover them.

Another point worthwhile making is that casualty/property insurance does not allow for one to be either under, or over insured. This is due to the formulas the adjusters have to rely on when processing claims.

It’s also important to keep your insurance up to date with current construction costs unless your insurer automatically adjusts that year to year, and with slight increases in annual premiums.

Many thanks for your valuable information.

grastaman

Feb 14, 2005
singapore
insightful as always roy. ... many costs are associated with petrol here. thus as petrol has been raised a few times in the last year (by large amounts like 90%)... construction materials and even labor go up in price as well. petrol is a huge inflationary marker for everything.

i had a small renovation quoted to me in sept 05. there was a month delay due to some silly reason (not my reason). the gov't hiked petrol prices in oct/nov. and in dec, the contractor backed out of the quote and revised the job quote upwards by over 50%.

so do really take note of Roy's caution to "keep up to date with current construction costs"

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Roy and Grastaman thanks for your reply. Roy my policy is as per grastaman's and also with Allianz via Asia life. I have been slack though and haven't keep up with the rising costs and will have to up my policy this year ,thats why I was curious to see if there were any other companies operating in Bali. Regards Peter

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
have you checked the small letters? How much do you have to pay first evenso you are all risk insured. We found out that the insurance is here very different than the one we had in Aussie, We were all risk insured and the insurance co. paid everything when we had a clain. Here we had a severe flood. The 15mill we had to pay first.
jogry

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Morning Folks

Roy said:
That is not bad, and in line with rates expected in the West.

I don't know about other places but the West I'm from, Florida, is good deal more expensive as it is exposed to the excessive attention of Ma Nature. Not an issue here, ha ha. Oops, I'm sorry m'am

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jorgy, if your homeowner’s insurance includes a deductible, which is what you are discussing, I sure hope it isn’t in fine print, as it would be a major policy provision and any reputable agent would be sure to fully discuss that provision with any prospective policy holder.

DCC, you make a good point. It’s odd, in a way, how infrequently Bali is subjected to severe weather. It’s also odd how infrequently major fires occur in Bali. If I was underwriting property-casualty insurance polices in Bali, I would consider Bali to be a dream come true!

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Thanks Roy - So true about the weather considering the ingrediants. Take 1 equator and add to that generous amount of molten lava, soil, and sea water then shake and stir - and No Disrespect intended towards our friends, family, &nieghbors to the West.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Roy, the agent did not discuss this with us. We are used to the ALLRISK insurances in Aussie, You can make a choice, you pay less premium if you pay a certain amount first yourself. We never did this, we paid the full premium and therefore it was ALL RISK. We had once a lightning strike and our Bore, PC,Fax were totally burned out. There was a damage of more thanA$2000.00. The inspector came and signed the papers and we were paid in full. That,s why this came as a blow, the total damage is IDR.64000.00. Lucky for us the developer shares half the cost

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry to dwell too much on this Jorgy, but all risk, in insurance jargon, means coverage for just about anything that can happen that’s a bad thing. Typically excluded would be acts of war...a universally applied exclusion.

Deductibles have nothing to do with the extent of coverage, meaning, the risks the policy covers. Deductibles, in fact, are really nothing more than a partial means to co-insure the risks, and their use is wise, as it brings down the cost of the premium. A deductible is virtually your own insured portion of the risk.

The greatest costs to insurance companies are not the claims themselves, but rather the expenses associated with settling claims.

I view insurance as catastrophic coverage. In other words, I ask myself, “what can I afford to loose if the shit really hits the fan?” That, which I cannot afford, is what I want insurance to cover.