Hi everyone

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
I am Peter. My wife (Maureen) and I have been in Australia for the last 12 years and visiting Bali ( Sanur ) at least annually.
We will be 50 next year and are considering moving to Sanur. Is there anything we should consider?

We are thinking are staying for 60 days at a time then a month back in Australia. We will have about $50,000 a year.
Is this doable with immigration and considering we can’t get a retirement visa till 55k?

Looking forward to living in Bali in the next 12 months or so..

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Metter and welcome to the forum and your future in Bali.
With respect to immigration there are a number of visas that you can apply for but the 60 day from the Indonesian Embassy/Consul, applied for where you live, is probably easiest to start with. Once it's stamped in your passport you have 90 days to arrive in Indonesia...so there's plenty time to make arrangements like cheap flights etc.
The paid 30 day Visa on Arrival (US$35) is also OK if a sudden trip is required and it can be extended for another 30 days (US$35).
You might get fed-up moving so often so there are other visas available if/when you wish to stay longer.
You say you're familiar with Sanur and I agree it's a nice place to stay...I live in Kerobokan but wish I lived in Sanur as the beach, breeze and facilities are great now...it used to be called 'snore' but no longer.
Shoot any Q's and I'm sure you'll get lots of replies.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
We are thinking are staying for 60 days at a time then a month back in Australia. We will have about $50,000 a year.
Is this doable with immigration and considering we can’t get a retirement visa till 55k?
That’s like four trips/year. If I understand you correctly, you want to stay two months at a time. I agree with davita that the ‘best’ visa would be the 60 days tourist one, from an Indonesian Consulate in Australia.

I don’t know whether or not the two of you can survive on $50,000/year. Depends on airfares to and from Australia, your expenses in Sanur (accommodation, transport, entertainment, food, etc).

Having said that, it is ‘doable’, IMHO, as long as you don’t splurge too much or too often.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
That’s like four trips/year. If I understand you correctly, you want to stay two months at a time. I agree with davita that the ‘best’ visa would be the 60 days tourist one, from an Indonesian Consulate in Australia.

I don’t know whether or not the two of you can survive on $50,000/year. Depends on airfares to and from Australia, your expenses in Sanur (accommodation, transport, entertainment, food, etc).

Having said that, it is ‘doable’, IMHO, as long as you don’t splurge too much or too often.

Thanks for the advice. With regard to living expenses how much would it cost to live in Bali, excluding return trips to Australia?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the advice. With regard to living expenses how much would it cost to live in Bali, excluding return trips to Australia?
With respect Metter that's an impossible question to answer....as everyone has different living styles.
Let's just say that for groceries, clothing, transport and labour like maid, driver, gardener, pool maintenance etc.....it is considerably cheaper than Canada....where I'm from and, I suspect Australia, but I'll leave our Ozzie members to reply to that.
My wife does grocery shopping in the expat-style stores and she walks out with a cart-full that would cost double in Vancouver. Our maid does the shopping in the local market for other foodstuff like fruit and vegetables and that's really cheap.
Wine and spirits are expensive but local beer Bintang is about Rp25-30,000 per bottle in pubs and restos...
Electricity is a little expensive so most conserve on air conditioning and use fans.
Dining-out can be really cheap, or outlandishly expensive, depending where you wish to dine...there's a lot of choice.
Most expats rent motor-cycles to get around but taxis are very cheap.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes, Metter
As davita said, it’s impossible to answer your question realistically, without knowing how you intend to live here.

An up-market kos-style place in Sanur (including electricity, cleaning, maybe internet, maybe pool, furnished, cooking facilities, refrigerator, TV, etc) is about Rp 5-6 juta/month (or maybe cheaper). Renting a whole house could set you back $5,000-10,000/year depending on location (and you'll pay for electricity, maybe water, gas for cooking, banjar fees, garbage collection, TV/fridge/gas cooker, gas, some furniture). Probably better off renting a good kos, studio apartment, or even staying in a nice homestay/inexpensive hotel.
Eating can be as cheap or expensive as you want.

Transport varies – hire and drive your own car/motorbike is possible, (dangerous), and you’ll need to have an International Driver’s Permit. Gojek motorbikes are very cheap. Taxis are generally cheap (Bluebird is the most honest, IMHO).

If you like Vegemite, bring your own. A 380g jar costs between AUD 12-15 (if you can find it).

If you haven’t already, you’ll probably need to check out the cost of travel insurance.

And so on….
:eek:

Last edited: