Hello-looking for large, hand carved motorcycles

greatam

Dec 12, 2006
usa
My husband owns a custom motorcycle shop in far Western Arizona. He was given a large, hand carved, finely detailed Harley by a friend. It was purchased at a swap meet. The sticker on the bottom states "Indonesia" + teak. It was obviously not a one of a kind custom piece or it would not have had the sticker on it.

Customers have asked about purchasing one. I have made an extensive study on the internet and have been unable to find anything similar. However, I have seen reference to these in a couple of blogs and one person stated the had seen them in Ubud.

Before I get on a plane and just start wondering around (and getting lost and who knows what other problems), has anyone seen these? We would like to purchase about 100 for sale in our shop. Description of what we have: approx 3 ft long x 1.5 feet high. EXQUISITE detail. Weight-almost 20 pounds. Front forks come off, seat and sissy bar comes off for easy shipping.

I am in the international logistics business (have been for 30 years) and am importing stuff currently from Vietnam/Cambodia and Peru/Chile. If I can be any help with international shipping to the US, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any help locating our motorcycles.

rakini

Oct 11, 2006
Perth, Western Australia
While I can't say exactly where you will find the motor bikes, they are available in Kuta and Legian. My son bought a smaller sized one in July from and we saw them in a variety of sizes including the large one you are looking for.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
I import to Australia and I use the same wood carver for everything. All you have to do is show them a photo or the object and they can copy it.

Obviously you get them to make you one up as a sample but we change many things we buy to suit our customers.

greatam

Dec 12, 2006
usa
Re: RE: Hello-looking for large, hand carved motorcycles

Tina said:
I import to Australia and I use the same wood carver for everything. All you have to do is show them a photo or the object and they can copy it.

Obviously you get them to make you one up as a sample but we change many things we buy to suit our customers.
So where is your carver or where should I start looking for my own? And how long does it take to make one?

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Hi, I stopped at a carvers shop the other day, he took me out back to show me something special, wow! a full sized gsxr, guy couldnt afford one so he carved one,,, tell me what you want size. etc.. send a pic, I will see if I can get you a quote. might want to check into trade rights, sure you wouldnt want it seized by customs...P.M me Frog or better send an email-- to Mollymack6@aol.com ,,,, Thx frog

CAP

Jun 9, 2006
Australia
Go to tegalalang right up the top end a short drive from Ubud and you will come accross what you are looking for at 2 places on the side of the road,if you cant find them ask someone.
Usually they are made of durian wood but you may be able to get them made of Teak
Good luck.