Hello all…

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
I really don't get why everyone is in such a hurry?

Let me break it down for you slow learners: there is one road around the island - just one, Ok?

Unless you are one of the aforementioned truckers or a Gojek driver stay the feck off it!

If you want to go, for instance, to Amed then use the road over the mountains (3 at least) that take you the scenic way. Perhaps over Seraya? Just stay away from the main drag. I've even come back to east Bali from Ubud over the north road from Lovina. It took an hour longer but, what the hell, it's a much nicer road.
This is the way. I always opt for the longer, less congested routes in Bali. if it means it's going to take an hour longer, then leave an hour earlier than you should. For me, it's worth it to avoid all that stress.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I really don't get why everyone is in such a hurry?

Let me break it down for you slow learners: there is one road around the island - just one, Ok?

Unless you are one of the aforementioned truckers or a Gojek driver stay the feck off it!

If you want to go, for instance, to Amed then use the road over the mountains (3 at least) that take you the scenic way. Perhaps over Seraya? Just stay away from the main drag. I've even come back to east Bali from Ubud over the north road from Lovina. It took an hour longer but, what the hell, it's a much nicer road.
Yea those trucks are slow, but I remember 25 years ago. They were even slower, and burned horrendous black belching exhaust! It was pure hell for a motorbike driver. If you notice all those trucks are carrying stones, for all the development in south and west Bali. I like Markit's idea of taking the high roads through the center of the Island. The road from Amlapura through the mountains to Bangli, then down to Ubud is a lovely drive. Yea, the Kamikaze drivers are absolutely bonkers! They will even pass on blind curves, where they can't even see what's coming. If your driving a motorbike coming from Ubud to the east, the people driving cars will practically run you off the road to pass the trucks.
And you are risking your life if you are driving East around sunset. Once I counted 15 motorbike drivers without taillights, even with their children on board. And It seems only 1 or 2 know what a turn signal is used for. I mean really, how much could it cost to buy a tiny lamp bulb? And they say the tourist are a problem on the roads! If you notice when you go to Ubud. 99% of the drivers are Indonesian. Most of the tourist there are walking. There are way too many Gojek, and Grab drivers, driving like snails, hungry, looking for prey. The Indonesian people flood these areas, chasing money, so don't blame the tourist for the crowded roads, pollution, and polluted rivers.