GREAT News From The Home Front

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I just learned today that my cousin, I Wayan Dedik is getting married September 25. I’ve known Dedik for all my years on Bali, and when I asked him to help me in talking to my wife’s family regarding my intentions about marrying her, he told me a great proverb about sugar cane.

As he put it, the sugar cane is very sweet for the first few chews, but over time, it can become very bitter. Well, as I told him earlier today, I’m still chewing on it, and it only gets sweeter!

More great news from Dedik...he has just been accepted for a full fellowship at the University of Illinois (Chicago campus), where he will also earn his doctorate in ethnomusicology. I know two great guys who passed this life last year who would be very happy to hear this....Bob Brown and Andy Toth.

Of course, in my own usual manner, I had to inform Dedik that UIC is among the top 100 campuses for gay students! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dedik.jpg

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
Roy, congrats to your cousin. He must be pretty excited about coming to the US to study especially in one of the greatest cities in the world, Chicago. I hope he likes the cold weather because Chicago gets freezing as you probally already know. This girl at my office thinks your cousin is a stud with his traditional dress. tell him that i can set him up with a nice american girl if he ever lands in DC.

On another note. When i was in bali the last time I was suprised with how many young Balinese adults (18-25) wanted to move to america rather than australia or some closer country. I guess the appeal of australia to the young balinese is not as strong as the appeal of america. Its probally because those damn Aussies have been coming to Bali for too long and keep on bringing a bad name to their country by the actions of a select few who visit bali, mainly disrespectful and ignorant surfer types. One particular instance i had a friend named Kedak from bali who told me he had a dream to move to California with his family and i told him that If he ever needed help with anything stateside I would be willing to put in my two cents. I find it funny that wherever you go people are wanting to move somewhere other than where they currently are. i guess it must be the appeal and human desire to travel and see new things. Balinese people want to move to america and snatch the american dream like our fore fathers before us while americans want to move to Bali and live in paradise on the "island of the gods." :lol:

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hey Roy,

Tell Dedik congratulations. I spent many years at UIC (which was then called Circle Campus) and received both my BA and MA in anthro from there. Chicago is a great city but just a little too cold for me.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo writes:

Circle Campus ? In reference to Roy's remark was the cry form a circle heard

Well, I’m clueless in Bali as to whatever that meant.

Balinese wanting to move to America?

Hmmm, I haven’t met any. An education there is one thing, but moving there? I don’t think so!

Many thanks Dr. Bruce. I’ve already made it clear to Wayan that in January, when out of doors, he’ll likely look like the Michelin man.