English teaching in Bali

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
Anybody know about english teaching job opportunities in Bali? I hold a degree (not in teaching) and am considering getting my Cert. TESOL or CELTA if it will enable me to get a job as an ESL teacher in Bali. I know with these certificates there's alot of esl jobs throughout SE Asia, Australia, Europe but I am interested in teaching only in Bali. :)

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
Hi Mimpi Manis,
Funny you should say that but I just sent them am email before posting my question on the forum. I have searched the internet through and through, there's actually not much information about EF and ESL teaching in Bali. Most of things I have read have been negative too :roll: but then saying that people are always quick to criticise on the internet. Does your friend enjoy working there?

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Yes reasonably so, she must be there 2 years by now. Infact she got married recently so I met a lot of the teachers from EF at her wedding. I have seen mixed reports of EF on Thorn Tree but I think Bali is one of the best. Try doing a search there and you should get a lot of hits.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Good luck in your search Ali but newly qualified teachers do not get a huge salary by western standards in Indonesia and Bali is no exception. You need to look at the whole package to se if it includes flights, accommodation etc as well as the few hundred dollars in salary.

I would also suggest that you contact Dr Bruce who taught in Indonesia for many years. He should be in the members list here. He also has a website devoted to teaching and it may well be a good source of Info for you.

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
Thank you Jimbo :) Hopefully I will find work teaching English, if I dont thats ok too. I'm not chasing the dollars, just a lifestyle change and an opportunity to experience new things. I'm lucky with my job in Australia, its in high demand and can be well paid, it's also transferrable in Bali however I need about 5years experience and a one year certificate on board, being the typical generation y I am unwilling to settle down and am opting for the transient lifestyle before I enter the land of debt and mortgages :? !

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
Well i spoke to English First and they said you need to be aged 25-50 because of immigration visa formalities. I'm 22 so i have a while to wait...Thanks guys for all the advice. I think i'll put the idea of teaching English on the back burner, hopefully by the time i'm 25 i'll have my intensive care certificate in nursing so will be able to apply for a job in bali. I can always live in hope :) I just sent an email to YKIP, an ngo in south bali about doing some volunteer nursing work. They replied back and are forwarding my email to their medical staff, they seem pretty positive. Hopefully i'll be able to put some of my skills to use with them. Again thanks everyone for the advice :D ali