Emaar Decision to pull the pin

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
I was looking for the old Lombok discussion forum for this one but could not find it.
This one’s for you and me Mimp. A pitty too Freo is not here to here her thoughts also .
On JD’s site via the Jakarta Globe this week.
Mid last year I was convinced the Indo Gov would provide the long awaited International airport down Sth of Mataram they have promised for so long. As usual, the Emaar rep says the reason is too many back hander’s to the Indo Gov officials (I don’t doubt that) but one wonders weather they really had the balls to do it anyway with a meagre US 4.2 million in consultancy fees.
I reckon they just don’t want to go ahead because of world economic uncertainty. And are using the the old line … Indo officials are corrupt to hide the fact they need to keep there bucks back in the middle east.
Regardless of anyone’s opinion of large development (not my cuppa tea but I understand progress) which would have created many temporary and ongoing jobs in Lombok I was hoping it would stimulate some trade for the Gilis and Sth Lombok areas.

Looks like another 10 years before something will happen I spose

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
And the latest news in....

Correction

On the Monday, March 16 edition of the Jakarta Globe, we reported that Dubai state-owned Emaar Properties PJSC had “announced” it was canceling a $600 million plan to develop a stretch of beach on the island of Lombok into a resort.

Later in the article, we attributed comments about the company’s problems dealing with Indonesian officials to Emaar Indonesia.

None of these comments came from an official spokesperson for the company.

They were all made by Emaar officials.

Neither Emaar Indonesia nor its parent company have made an announcement that they are quitting Indonesia.

We regret the error.

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Be great to see that airport go ahead Mimp. I think if the controlling bodies of Lombok (who ever they may be) got on the right foot from the time of it's construction start then we may not see the massive problems the exists now in Bali regarding the awesome congestion problem particularly from Ngurah Rai to Seminyak Denpasar and Sanur and a bit beyond.

Mataram is a terrific example of how it is possible to create that essential ring road and keep the flow of traffic as wide and even as possible. If this kind of thinking can expand as the Island develops then we may see a different outcome in say 2020. It seems to me that Lombok can take the load off Bali as a destination for tourists and if the planners get it right now then I am sure it would help both islands in the long term.

The start needs to be of course and decent international airport.

I'm picturing a forty foot high statue of Gemma with a 6 foot high statue of hubby Made in the palm of here hand as you enter Kuta on the main drag with a flashing neon sign saying Lombok Homestay Goldclass this way. :D

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
From Jack's site today

As reported by Kompas, that meeting was used by Vice-President Kalla to emphasize that the Lombok International Airport and all supporting facilities must be finished in accordance the development plans agreed with Dubai's Emaar Properties LLC for Central Lombok. The Emaar Group is reportedly reconsidering its US$600 million tourism development for Lombok.

Looks like that kick up the bum I gave the CEO in Dubai last worked :lol: