costs of living in Bali.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Well Alfred, you will find a lot of your answers are somewhere on the forum already.

Search a bit please....

And...

Don't expect to have your list of questions answered, one by one...

Lets take it one by one...

Petrol is now 4500 rupiah per liter...

There is no real road tax in Indonesia, you just pay for the STNK (kenteken bewijs), and this is, just like in the Netherlands, different for every car.

I own a Opel Blazer, 2400CC, and I pay about 1.7 million rupiah a year.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Alfred, welcome. As Bert said, some of answers you're looking for are already on the forum. However I have spent many, many hours searching & surfing the same sort of info as we're also planning to move to Bali in a couple of years time. I understand that it is hard work trying to find out about things from thousands of miles away. So will try & answer some of your questions based on my own research:-

1. Will depend how you live. Some on this forum quoted $3000/month. If you send kids to one of the private schools instead of international I'm sure it would cost less than that.
2. Sanur is well known as expat community, quite expensive. We have budgeted at least $800/month for ourselves, wherever we'll end up living, though Canggu is looking favourite at the moment.
3. I have a 4 yr old who will be about 6 when we do move there, so have been in touch with a few schools there. BALI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL - USD4500 – 10000 (depends on age up to 16), SANUR INDEPENDENT SCHOOL - US$2,600 (up to 11), CANGGU COMMUNITY - $5000 (Years 1-6) & $6000 (Yr 7). Prices are per annum of course and they are just tuition fees. Other fees are applied: i.e yearly levies
4. Visa - covered many times on this forum before
5. Possible with KITAS - please search forum
6. As no 5
7. Many people have had different views on this. Starting a business anywhere is not easy, especially somewhere you're not familiar with. You need to get to know the place & people first before making this sort of decision. As for taxes, well..... many would say,"what's that?"
8. Taxes - please search forum
9. My answer at no 7 applies to this as well
10. I know there are a few of them. (Bert, are you Dutch?)
11. Bert has answered this
12. Answered by Bert
13. Search forum
14. I believe the going rates around Rp500.000 per month + food + assistance with medical bills when necessary + other bits & pieces

OK, hope this is useful. However don't quote me on any of them as I only researched them from thousands of miles too! :wink:

Anyway, maybe we'll see you in Bali someday! Good luck!

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Dear Bert and Irma,

Thanks a lot for the information. Schools are quite expansive if compared to Holland where they are nowedays for free untill the age of 11 !!.

Just like you both said, I can find most of the information on the forum already. Actually for the time being a have practically al the answers I needed.

Many thanks to you Bert and a little more to you Irma for all your answers!

I will keep following the activity on this forum with interest.

regards
Alfred.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert, are you Dutch?

Yup, and as tight as bark to a tree. It's a secret of his survival on Bali! :shock:

Luv ya Bert, but "rules are rules" and truth is truth!

On topic, the cost of living on Bali, I can say without doubt that it is more than double what it was just seven or eight years ago.

Building projects now will easily run more than double from just a few years ago, not because of wage increase, but simply the huge increases in materials.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Re: RE: costs of living in Bali.

Roy said:
On topic, the cost of living on Bali, I can say without doubt that it is more than double what it was just seven or eight years ago.

Building projects now will easily run more than double from just a few years ago, not because of wage increase, but simply the huge increases in materials.

I know you are right on this, Oom Roy. Everywhere in Indonesia things are much more expensive. I have my Mother & unemployed Brother (currently doing a course) in Jakarta whom I support, as without it there is no way they could manage! In the past 2 years the amount of money I send them has more than doubled! :cry:

Can somebody tell me then, if wages haven't increased, how on earth do the locals manage?!? :shock:

BTW Alfred, you are very welcome.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Can somebody tell me then, if wages haven't increased, how on earth do the locals manage?!?

With great difficulty. Most all the families that I am close enough to that they will honestly discuss their finances have either dipped into their savings, sold their car (replaced by a mototbike), leased or sold land that they wanted to keep for their kids.

Most Balinese will "put on a good face" about this issue but make no mistake about it, there is a lot of belt tightening going on here.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Anybody to answer because I bet Roy has not a clue

So Jimbo, what are you betting? :p

Since I do a fair amount of the cooking around here, I am up on this topic. In our kitchen we prefer to use a mix of red and fat rice. Generally when we cook a batch of rice, it's one third red rice and two thirds fat rice.

Fat rice is premium Bali rice. A five kilo bag runs around 35 to 40 thousand. Red rice runs about 5,000 per kilo. "Normal" white rice runs around 95 thousand per 25 kilo bag and is almost impossible to find in less quantity than a 25 kilo bag.

Imported Thai white rice is also popular here, and a five kilo bag runs about 50 thousand.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Roy

I knew I would get an answer :)

Suprised at the rice though as normal rice works out at around 39 cents a kilo with best quality at close to 90 cents unless I have my decimal point in the wrong place.

Prices really have shot up. In the UK best Thai Rice is about 1.4 dollars a kilo with normal long grain about 90 cents a kilo and this from supermarkets.

I have been hearing stories recently that many Indonesians in the cities cannot afford to eat rice. Now I know why. Great shame.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Forty two cents (which is what I get for normal rice per kilo) i.e. 95,000 divided by 25, or 3,800 rupiah is pretty cheap if you consider that two pounds of rice is quite a lot and can cover a number of meals. The Bali fat rice, or premium rice is a bit too pricy for many families to eat on its own, so they often mix it with the normal rice.

Those prices I quoted are at the Bali markets. I guess at supermarkets the price would be higher, but I don't know why anyone here in Bali would buy rice, except the imported, Thai rice in a supermarket.

In the cities, far away from the rice fields, I guess the prices would be higher due to transport costs and higher overhead costs of the sellers.

In my view what is hurting the working class Indonesians more are recent increases in gas and electricity. Indonesia has a bad habit of holding off price increases until it is too late, thus the percentages are high...as much as 100% at one time rather than a controlled staggered increase each year.

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
3. how much is costs of the Int. School) starting from 5 years?

Why do they really need International school? Indonesian school is the same (this is my opinion). Indonesian school have good curriculum and sure the cost is really much cheaper. If the reason is because they are 50% foreigner, and you're so afraid the other student can't accept them, don't be worry. When I was in the school, I have friends, they are half French, Deutsche, British, etc . I am sure that your children can speak Indonesian as good as their mom....

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Iris

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. I have lived for 20 yrs in UK and as I don't see other Indo fellows very often, my Bahasa has gone terrible!! I tend to think in English now so speaking Bahasa doesn't come natural to me anymore.

I'm a shame to admit, my 2 kids do not speak Bahasa at all!! :oops: They just know the odd words. So when we move to Bali, my youngest boy will be 6 then, I think he will have to go to an International school unfortunately.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: costs of living in Bali.

irma1812 said:
.... as I don't see other Indo fellows very often, my Bahasa has gone terrible!!
Two of Jimbo's "pet hates" in the one sentence!!

Irma, I think you're baiting our poor Jimbo. :p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Irma, for many expats, especially the ones who know they are here for only a certain time period (i.e. employed by a large company, GM of an international hotel, etc.) international schools make sense, and most of these expats aren't concerned that their children learn bahasa Indonesia or integrate with local kids. They also don’t care much what the international school costs, as in most cases these expenses are picked up by their employer as part of their “hardship posting.”

Other expats, especially those with Indonesian spouses who plan to make Bali or Indonesia home permanently generally do not use such schools, but rather tend to enroll their kids in Indonesian/international schools where there is a good English as well as local curriculum.

An odd thing from my perspective about the international school is that their holiday schedule is on a Western basis. That means that during local holidays, such as Galungan, Kuningan, Ramadan etc, the schools are open and in session.

Alfred

Apr 21, 2006
Netherlands
Dear Roy,

It looks like you are quite well informed about things on Bali. Just like you say, if we should make the move to Bali and have the intention to stay and live there, we would like to have our son (4) and one of just 3 weeks go to a normal Indonesian school.

At home he still can learn the Dutch languages, at school the Indonesian one and also Englisch. At this age the still learn quickly.

Question: what does those schools costs per year ? and what lessons are there besides Englisch?

regards

Alfred.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Roy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely rulling out the local school, although it has to be one with international influence as you said. When in Bali next I will be visiting Sekolah Dyatmika - Sanur. Fees are way way cheaper and they follow some British curricullum as well!! So, yes a possibility indeed.

Alfred, if you want to find out more: http://www.dyatmika.org

Roy, can you suggest another similar school? What about the one your kids attending? Cheers!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Our two oldest boys are currently enrolled in the Denpasar Children’s Center. We’ve been very happy with this school. It has a mix of roughly 20% pure foreign kids, 50% mixed, and 30% pure Indonesian. I like the “mix” a lot. My oldest, Bima, who is almost six, has a wonderful little blue eyed blond Sweedish girl friend. :oops:

Rama, who is almost exactly a year younger than Bima, and Bima are both in pre-school. Bima will be advancing to primary school this July...the school choice is still uncertain.

It seems with most of the schools here, that the kids start out at about age three in playgroup, and then spend the next two years at various levels of pre-school. For example, at the Denpasar Children’s Center, there is a totally different class, and different curriculum, for pre-school juniors, usually around four years of age, and pre-school seniors, at five years of age.

Each class is staffed by a senior teacher, as well as a junior teacher. Class sizes average about 25 or so kids. The classes are well organized, and the teachers seem to have no problems keeping control.

Both Rama and Bima get four hours of English, as well as homework each week. In addition, they have various levels of math studies and problem work books, and vocabulary/picture association workbooks. They get complete evaluations by the senior teacher twice a year.

The school has a swimming pool as well as a fine play yard. Security is tight, and no adult enters the school without being recognized, or challenged. At the entrance there are two guards.

The cost there is an annual “building fee” (common here with all private schools) of Rp 3 million a year, plus a monthly cost of Rp 500.000 per child. As private schools go in Denpasar, that is quite reasonable, even at play, or pre-school levels. Since we live in Ubud, those fees are only part of the story. We have a daily commute of about two hours total round trip, and all the associated expenses and time associated with that.

Our youngest son, Komang (I Nyoman Ari) will be starting playgroup this July, Where that will be is not yet decided.

At some point, Eri and I both think it would be best for all of our boys to pull them out of the private sector, for at least a year, and put them in our village school. Our reasoning for this is totally based on community issues. Our banjar is small, and as much as we want to offer our sons the best education we can, the friendships and bonds they need to form with their own village peers is equally important.

Without doubt.... without ANY doubt, these issues, education and integration of our kids in their community, are the toughest issues any mixed Indonesian/Western couple will ever face in Bali. Each couple has to figure it out for themselves. There are no answers, no certain ways to go.