Cost of building a villa

Colonel

Jan 31, 2005
Perth
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I apologise If this topic has already been raised (I've had a quick search and can't find the right info)

I'm currently investigating the option of buying/Leasing Land with the intention of building a couple of villas to rent out to tourists with the hope of building more etc.

I'm only just at the start of this process - gathering info etc so wanted some ideas on:

1. What's the best way of securing land (keeping in mind my plan to use it for business etc) leasing/buying etc?

2. What's the average cost of building a villa in Bali? just a ball park figure to give me some idea!!!

3. What's the time frame for building a villa?

4. Have you any contacts that could help me answer these questions?

Any advice/info would be greatfully appreciated

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Colonel,

There are several option to "aquire" land to build on. If you want to rent it out it would rule out "Hak Pakai", so you should lease or buy with the nameholder option, see this page:

http://www.bali-information.com/bali_pr ... e.php?p=11

Building a villa will cost you depending on quality and material somewhere between 1.5 million and 5 million rupiah per sqm, where 2 million is a reasonable average. But I am talking VILLA here and not house.

Time frames? Her in the north we can build villas within 3-4 months, somewhere else it may take twice or more.

Don't forget, depending on location, to calculate making roads, getting electricity and water, and making the land building ready.

For one spot here in the north we used more then 2300 truckloads of soil to get things done. But that was for about 2 hectare of beach land. (5 acre)....

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Dear Colonel,
I have just finished building a Villa in Tabanan Regency and will happily pass on info to you . Contact me on < admin removed email address>
regards Pete

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Peter I would be very helpful for all of us if you share your info about how you build your villa, and don't talk about this "in private". This is a forum for sharing information....

peterk

May 17, 2004
Victoria Aust
Ok I'm happy to share experiences . I thought it would be easier to answer specific questions. We have been travelling back and forward to Bali over the past 20 years and have built up a network of trusted friends who have become family. So the process of finding a trusted Balinese to oversee construction whilst not in Bali was relatively easy. My friend after the land was purchased acted as project manager. His background was in hospitality but knows via an enormous network people in the construction industry who worked at various times at his or near by hotels in Ubud. We set up meetings with key people and agreed on a design which developed well beyond what was initially agreed upon. Mind you it added to costs but the end result was far better than we expected. I dont think a Balinese can help themselves when given the opportunity to use their talent in design . The budget was blown. We used to a large extent Javanese under Balinese supervision for the "dirty" jobs and the local labor again under supervision for the "clean" jobs. All aspects were then supervised by my supervisor who knew clearly what we and he wanted from the project. Some times it was more what he wanted and of course he applied the appropriate cultural aspects to our construction when necessary.
To be continued.... Work calls
regards Peter K