Chile Earthquake

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
This was on a Italian web.

Rome, March 2 - The Chilean earthquake of 27 February, a magnitude 8.8, caused a shift in the Earth's rotation and a corresponding reduction in the length of the period of revolution of the planet: it is reported that study conducted by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA. The changes planned by JPL are not measurable experimentally, since they are too small, but they are predictable using mathematical models: the shift of it is about eight inches, and the redistribution of mass caused an acceleration of the rotation of the planet which shortened the duration of the day of 1.26 millionths of a second. The principle is similar to that of the rotating figure skater that accelerates approaching the arms to the body due to movement of the tectonic plates of the Earth has become more compact and thus its rotation speed is increased.

In other words: shorter days

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks for the bad news, lumumba. I usually do not find enough hours in a day to do everything I wanted to do, and now you tell us that the earth-day has become even shorter...:icon_mrgreen:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Scientists can't measure the "axis shift" or exact "shortening" of a day with the accuracy required related to the Chilean earthquake. Mathematical models suggest a shortened day by 1.26 millionths of a second.

No need to change any calendars unless you're a born-again Mayan or a Balinese recently reincarnated as a Mayan scientist (unlikely).,

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Thanks for the bad news, lumumba. I usually do not find enough hours in a day to do everything I wanted to do, and now you tell us that the earth-day has become even shorter...:icon_mrgreen:

Is it the length of the days or the intensity that makes our life worthwhile...?

webmaster705

May 24, 2010
Hi,
Thanks for sharing the magnitude and also accurate time of chile earthquake.but I am seenig the dead-ful & crying pics of this earthquake I am so deppressed but I can not do so much only instead to pray for thems.