Buying a luxury villa from development

G

I am think about buying a luxury villa from a development in Seminyak which should be finished in April 2006, I understand that a foreigner cannot get finance from an Indonesian banking/financing institution, so therfore would have to finance from my country of residence - UK. I justed wanted to check if anyone had good or bad encounters with this type of purchase and can have faith in them

Baliken

Aug 6, 2005
Darwin/Bali
I have owned one apartment in legian just recentley, which I just sold, and have bought another 3, due to finish late 2006.
Normally,,,not a problem,,just make sure your not going into it with a balinese partner,,99 yr leases are more favorable..What is the name of the project?? I may know the developers..
Pm me and I will try to answer any queeries you have.

BK

G

there are 2 that i am looking at, one is with Sydney Based developer and designed by Grounds Kent, project is Sentosa and the other one is Club 151, the developer is PT. Maximus Bali, both are located in Seminyak. Any information would be great.

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
I find it really interesting how popular these developments are. They are certainly 5* and look fab, but they are very expensive. Are they good value investment wise? Not a lot of land, and I much prefer freehold with an Indonesian partner. The legalities seem to have been worked out with few problems. Opinions welcome.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
There are villas or homes for every type of "customer".

Although I can not look in the future, it seems that villas in Seminyak are booming now.

These villas are not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a market, and a big slice of this market seems to be Asians and people living in Asia as well. Hong Kong, Malaysia, Jakarta etc.

If they are a good investment?

Is there a solid marketing plan for rentals?
How is the management arranged?
What is the expected appreciation?
What are the facilities?
What is your planned use?

That Bali will recover from the horrible events is no doubt, but the events have to be taken in account at the moment by everyone.

It is true, in any case, that whatever happens, property doesn't loose value in Bali.

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
Your comments that property does not lose value in Bali is re-assuring. We have bought land near-ish Caangu, but think we will delay building. We have a 4 year old, and chose the area because of the Aus International School and Caangu Community School proximity. But would not feel comfortable about him attending school in Bali at the moment, and need to see how things develop.

We receievd a very bad taste email from a lange agent/developer suggesting that now was a good time to buy because of the bombings. He has since come back with another saying they are raising money for the victims. Nauseating approach.

We are about to leave for the airport to go to Bali, and are not particularly nervous. Will keep out of hotspots, and have travelled a lot to dodgy destinations. We also feel that the Balinese people actually have a lot of goodwill and integrity, and do not want them to suffer at the hands of fanatics.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Bert's observation that propery does not depriciate in value is very accurate as far as my own observations and experiences go. Property costs in my own village have increased very dramatically in the past few years, and I'm talking Balinese to Balinese price.

The flip side though is that construction costs have also risen almost 200% in just the past three years. The cost of qualified labor is not the point...rather, it is the cost of basic materials.

Amazingly enough, and very true, the villas that Bert represents in Lovina could not be duplictated at 30% over their original cost, considering land acqusition, papers, materials and construction costs, as they are today. If I'm wrong on that statement, then I'm sure Bert will set the record straight. If Eri and I had some buried rupiah available, there is no doubt we would buy one of Bert's villas.

As many posts that I read here about building....I would suggest looking at what is already built, and consider the costs of changing some aspects that maybe are not appealing to you, or in your "grove."

The cost of new construction cannot compete in value to what has already been built here. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt.