Building Villa (how original!): Advice Needed

Android

Jan 6, 2005
Bali, Thailand, UK
Hi Expats,

I'm sure you've heard this before many times, but here goes...

I've bought some land in Bali, am in the process of building a villa there and could do with some advice.

Firstly, about land ownership. I bought the land in an Indonesian's name (not Balinese) and she signed a contract giving me full ownership rights. This was organised by a notary and advised by a lawyer. I have the certificates. The notary tells me I can transfer the certificates into my own name if I wish. However, this will only give me "right to use" and not "right to own". So I'm not sure if it's worth it. With right to use, I cannot use the land for business purposes - and I intend to rent out the villa. OTOH it's apparently unlikely to be a problem unless I'm running a larger, more commercial, venture. Plus, if I was caught I would apparently get a warning before any action was taken against me. So, I'm tempted to go down this route anyway. I guess I could always put it into a local's name if I got problems in the future. Any advice? My main concern is not losing the land.

Second, about fitting it out. I've looked in many bathroom/kitchen shops in Bali (and Batam) and have found most of the stuff fairly ordinary. OTOH in Thailand, where I am now, there's loads of really stylish, high-quality, modern stuff available at very reasonable prices. I'm therefore thinking about importing some things. But, I've read about other forum members' problems, so I'm a bit wary. Someone mentioned Surabaya as being a good place to go shopping. Has anyone any comments on that? Importing from there would be so much easier.

Finally, I'd be grateful if anyone has ANY suggestions about what to include in a villa to rent. I've already got a fantastic architect who's come up with a really stunning design (including outdoor shower, bathtub, big pool, etc.), but I'm open to advice and suggestions from people with experience in this area. Is broadband internet, for instance, deemed important? If so, how can I get it? I'm in the Lovina area and suspect I may have to use satellite. How about normal internet or ADSL?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Outdoor bathrooms can be a security risk, at least in bugalows & hotels. Most thefts from rooms in Lombok happen to those with oudoor bathrooms. Thief gets over the wall into the bathroom and then either the adjoining room is not locked or if it is he is out of sight of everyone while he breaks in. In hotels though he is accessing the bathroom from a communal area/garden. Hopefully your perimeter walls & security are good.

Re bathroom fittings, I have tried both the best & most expensive I can find in Lombok & some of the cheapest. Nothing seems to last for more than a couple of years before needing replacing.

Good Luck

Android

Jan 6, 2005
Bali, Thailand, UK
Thanks for that Mimpimanis. I'll certainly bear your advice in mind. There is a good perimeter wall all around, with lockable gates, security staff on-site and an alarm system - so I hope I'll be OK on that front.
Taps and things only last 2 years? What happens? Corrosion from tropical climate?
Any other advice anyone? I'm thinking of putting the land in my own name for now.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Yes, corrosion seems to be the problem.

Re the land, the certificate can not be in the name of a foreigner. You have done what is normal. Having an agreement between yourself & your partner.

Mine is in the name of my husband so I am not sure about the ins & outs of having it in the name of a business partner.

Android

Jan 6, 2005
Bali, Thailand, UK
I beg to differ. Maybe your information is out of date, or it's different in Singaraja, but I've heard from numerous sources (including this forum and a local notary) that foreigners can now have land certificates in their own name. However, as I mentioned before, foreigners are only awarded "right to use" status - which is a level below the "right to own" status that is awarded to locals. As I understand it, when the certificate is in a foreigner's name, the actual land owner is the province. "Right to use" forbids using the land for business purposes.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Android

Sorry if my info is out of date. Certainly the last time we helped a friend of mine buy land about 2 years ago now, the notaris made it clear that the certifacte could not be in her name. I also know heaps of other expats with land including myself & non have Green Certificate in their own name.
I am sure they would be intersted to know about this development (assuming that it is the same in Lombok)
In my own case though the land is used for business as well as our home so I am happy to leave it in my husband's name.
Apologies again for out of date info.

Android

Jan 6, 2005
Bali, Thailand, UK
Yes I think it may be a fairly new development and possibly only in certain areas. I'm thinking of doing it cos I'd feel more secure with the land in my name. trouble is I can't then legitimately use it 4 business. Apparently though, 1 villa isn't likely 2 attract the authorities' attention and, even if it does, they'd warn me b4 taking action - at which time I could transfer it into a local's name.

The other thing I asked about was internet access. As I understand it, broadband is only available via satellite - but what about ADSL? It may not be as fast as BB but it'd be fine 4 me. Is it available in Bali?

Thanks.