Books in Bali; humidity, book shops, Amazon etc

What's the scene on books in Bali please?
Humidity
I have heard that books (as well as papers & photos) easily deteriorate outside of an air conditioned environment because of the humidity in Bali. Is that so?
I have seen plenty of books in hotels, stored in ordinary glass-fronted bookcases with no air-con and they seemed fine.
I'm planning to bring some books but if it's the case that they will fall apart or succumb to mildew or similar, then I will reconsider.
Bookshops
Ganesha in Ubud seems to carry a very good range but is rather limited beyond Bali-orientated topics. Are there any alternatives elsewhere in Bali?
Some expats have written that the best bet is to use visa runs to Singapore or elsewhere to stock up. Is that correct?
Amazon
In theory this would seem to be the obvious way of stocking up on books for the Bali expat but I have read loads about the shortcomings of the Indonesian/Balinese postal system. And then there is the customs. I have also have been told by an expat that Amazon don't deliver to Indonesia but when I asked they blandly replied they deliver everywhere. I honestly don't know what to believe so have expats found that Amazon works in Bali?
Py wrote back in Nov. that “Amazon is an option and it does work. Where and how you receive your parcels is important.” If that’s the case, what “where and how” should one adopt?

Thanks for reading this and if you have anything to contribute I'd be very grateful.

Amazon

And then there is the customs. I have also have been told by an expat that Amazon don't deliver to Indonesia but when I asked they blandly replied they deliver everywhere. I honestly don't know what to believe so have expats found that Amazon works in Bali?

Had some DVD's delivered to me via DHL and Amazon (priority shipping). Had to pay 42% import duty on the declared value...

Books

have no problem, as long as you keep them dry. Means don't let them get wet by aircons or such. Then undust them once a month. I have a whole library here in Malaysia for many years, no problems. And it's more humid here than Bali :)

Amazon, etc.

So unfair that a gift of DVDs sent using DHL/Amazon was assessed an outrageous 42% import tax on arrival in Bali. (Not having one of those plastic chairs at hand to strike, I must express my feelings in print.) I found more examples of import tax horrors online at http://www.usembassyjakarta.org under a document titled "import policies": vehicles taxed at 200%; imported wine 271%; motorcycles (10% VAT + 150% import duty + 35% luxury tax), etc. This may not be the most recent or detailed list, but it opened my eyes, as they say, big time. I was also intrigued by Py's comment hinting that the method and place used for an Amazon delivery are crucial. I hope he will tell us more----L

Methods of Goods infiltration.

I personally have no surefire method so cannot glibly order the odd book, CD or vitamin bottle on a whim. I do however have friends with fully accredited and registered P.T.'s (Indonesian registered companies). These are friends who have as part of their job, to deal with the labyrinthine vagaries of R.I. customs on a semi to regular basis. They know all the easy ways and have it down to a sweatless science. I have the goods sent to their company which usually sandwiches it in to a larger volume... piggy-backing.

I also have a couple of local friends who work in the administrative offices of 5 star hotels, this can be handy and relatively painless.

So what I am forced to do is to then is let a long list build up over time and then try to coordinate an order with a concurrent order to the same place by one of my pals. The trick here isn't customs, but the social graces. Don't lean too hard on any one friend and try to spread it around and stagger it.

This seems to work out well enough if bolstered by the periodic Singapore and U.S. runs.

Now if you say, "But I don't know anybody with a P.T. or anyone who works in the administration of a five star", well... yes! That's called being a neophyte, a newbie. These things tend to accumulate whether you like them or not. One can't just show up in N.Y.C. and then whine about not being invited to Nan Kempner's exclusive grand charity bash for the sensibility impaired in the great halll of the Metropolitan museum.

I am sure there are many other crafty import trails already employed by others. Those I have mentioned are the only two that I know, but seem to cover needs and deter exploitation well enough.

Until I open my own P.T. (never) I will always be reliant on the kindness of friends or schlepping overweight and excess baggage. That's life.

Good luck and can I borrow some books?

P.

Books, paper and humidity

Largely I agree with Lothar's points relating to archival preservation of paper goods, specifically books kept here on Bali. But just to make a few points, if any of your books are of antiquarian nature, thus 100% cotton fiber paper, then special attention is needed. It is not the humidity that is the problem here for such paper, it is rather mites and other tiny little critters who love to eat this early paper because of the sizing used in its making. These books, or papers, need to be stored in a good quality cases, as air tight as possible, and with moth balls present. Most books printed after the mid 19th century utilize wood pulp as opposed to cotton in paper production, and although they can be subjected to the same foxing, or degeneration as cotton papers, normally they are less likely to be victims of these nasty little bugs.

Keeping The Whining To A Minimum

Good to hear books don’t fall apart if looked after and of the ways & means of stocking up. That being the case, I’ll keep the shipping to a minimum.
Py – Hai! Sure, you can borrow whatever we bring. My stuff is pretty mundane but my girlfriend is Japanese & Buddhist so her collection is far more esoteric. If you read Kanji you’ll be spoilt for choice. A friend manages one of the posh hotels so will follow your advice on that possible way of receiving deliveries.
Bert – will be bringing some opera. Mainstream standards. Do you wish to copy?
Thanks again everyone for all your help. As payback, when I arrive you can make me Newbie Neophyte Coordination Person. But for 6 months only.

books and mail orders

I live right on the coast (for the past thirteen years) and have a fairly good sized library. The books are fine. There has been some slight discoloration from ones that were in the old library which had a lot of sunlight. No problems with mildew or anything else which is more than I can say for what the salt air does to my electronic stuff.

I have been ordering books from the US for the past ten years and have had no problems. I have them shipped to my house in Singaraja and they have always shown up in full. I have not had the same luck with clothes, however.

Besides orders from the US, I bring in as many books as I can from Asia Books in Bangkok. The branch on Sukhumvit by Robinsons is excellent.

Back