Baby Girl Names

Londonboy

May 15, 2006
UK
Here's one for the creative / historical thinkers for you! If you have no suggestions but know a link that could help?

Looking for a middle name for a newborn baby girl, with Indo inclinations to represent her Indo family (step-grandmother, uncle + extended Batak family....!) and the frequent visits she will make. I find batak names either too harsh, or anglicised, and have always preferred Balinese names. It's a symbolic rather than a geographical thing as she is living in London (at the moment - but will be a frequent if not permanent visitor) Names with a meaning are always good. Thanks! 8)

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney
I have always liked Srikandi - below is a description i found after doing a google on the name.

The characters of "Srikandi" and "Sumbadra", two of Arjuna's seven wives, have significant meaning for Indonesian women. "Srikandi" represents a willful and assertive female. She is a popular symbol for Indonesia's women's movement. She is thought of as intelligent, decisive, assertive, courageous, combative and beautiful. The shadow puppet in her image shows a very different posture from Arjuna's "other wife", "Sumbadra." "Srikandi's" face is uplifted, looking one straight in the eye; she struts forth with a wide step, appearing to wear pants which are above her knee and she sports a "kris", a man's dagger, in her belt. She wears a flower in her hair and is confident.

I've never thought of the name as being quite as defiant as the description above ....

Londonboy

May 15, 2006
UK
I like Maya. Thanks for all your suggestions, I will put them all to her mum!

Babies first name is Katherine.

BLI GEDE

Jan 8, 2006
Negara Salju
Thanks guys,
We didn't have a name until she was born, nothing seemed to fit. Now I can't imagine yelling ANYTHING else at the top of my lungs or whispering anything else at the end of the day...

Maya was the name of the mother of Siddhartha Gautama who went on to some degree of notoriety as the embodiement of the Buddha.

Sari can be defined as essence or nectar, as in "sari bunga"-that of a flower , or "sari nadi" the essence of life.

Bli Gede

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Hi Lodon :)

just a suggestion, since the babay is girl, why u don't named after "butet" mean (if i am not wrong) daughter (in jawa or indonesia = puteri)

Sari is nice too (hehehe it's my real name :) )

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Sorry to butt in :oops:

I know this is out of “Balinese” names for babies but as everyone talking about babies I think I want one now :oops: .

If I ever have a baby girl I always like the name of Conchita (from a TV series I watched sometime ago) but that is the problem I also want a Balinese/Indonesian name so will have to think of something that mixes well with Conchita. Conchita Cempaka sounds good…Thanks Kak Dyah…any other suggestions…. :?:

Cheers

Ni Luh

PS. As far as I am concern my husband has no say on this as I will be the one that carries the baby for 9 months. :lol:

magenta

May 9, 2006
hannover
My last pregnancy 4 years ago i love the name Uma Midori.
Uma ist the Sakti from Wisnu. Midori in japanese means green.
i love the Woods.
but it was a boy call joris Purnama. Joris from Georgius and Purnama means the perfect form of the moon. (fullmoon)
my daughter i gave her Tara after Dewi Tara after wife from the two monkey Kings Sugriwa and Subali.

ayo iluh ... conchita cempaka sond nice.

Dyah

Dec 29, 2005
Hamburg, Germany
www.ikat-agentur.com
Conchita is spanish word, come from "concha" mean shell. Choncita mean little concha, also little shell...
conchita cempaka :roll:...
i like indonesian word "embunputri" =girl who was born at dawn, there is dew in the aire. Or "Suryaputri" for babygirl was born on the sunny day ... etc"Megaputri" on cloudy day etc
Dyah

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Hi Bapak Jimbo :)

Jimbo said:
Pooochie "Conchita" was it a Brazilian soap opera. Sound spanish or mexican. Do you think it goes with Balinese?

I know what you mean but overall I am not too concerned as the child will be of mixed blood so a mixed name would probably be acceptable. Don’t get me wrong I do want her to know and to be proud of our heritage that is why I also want Balinese/Indonesian names that mixes well with Conchita. She will have my husband's surname from the English side so I think I have the choice to choose the first names…. :) ....

I am afraid not the Brazilian soap opera you mentioned. The idea was derived from a TV series called The Buccaneers based from Edith Wharton unfinished novel (I think). She is a feisty Brazilian woman who lives in the US and later moved to England played beautifully by Mira Sorvino. The first time I heard the name of Conchita and I liked the sound of it straight away as it was a beautiful name and so appropriate for the character.

She was a bad girl, a bit naïve but soon she realises in life something has to give and sometimes life is not as perfect as it seems, but you have to survive somehow. I know it is a bit sloppy :oops: but it stirred my emotions.

Here is a picture of Conchita in that series:

buc7.jpg

She does remind me of Sophia Latjuba who is also of mixed Indonesian-European blood. I personally think Sophia is sexier than Meriam Belina, do you know of her Bapak Jimbo :?: By the way your daughters are very pretty as your wife is very beautiful.

Since we are talking about babies, I still can’t stop thinking about your line on story from Mixed Marriages Thread:

Jimbo said:
The rounding on her stomach from the pregnancy makes him feel really proud

That is really sweet :) . However, many of my British people that I know of, mostly my generation, have slightly different reaction to that. Some of them would say: Oh No, felt like being hit by a bus!! :shock: , or the most funniest thing I have heard is “ oh there goes my Porsche :cry: :lol: ”.

This is clearly different than my circle of people that I know in Bali/Indonesia. Many of them had kids quite quickly after the marriage and it seems they are more prepared than the people in the west I know.

Hi Kak Dyah

Thanks for the explanation.

Come to think of it Conchita Cempaka when it is initialled becomes C C…..mmmm….What about Conchita Juita. Juita means pretty in Indonesia………… I think I need to get an Indonesian baby names book if there are any???

Selamat malam dan selamat mimpi

Ni Luh

Londonboy

May 15, 2006
UK
You guys are fantastic! Keep them coming. Surya and Mayasari are both lovely names. We don't register her name for a couple of weeks, so continue with the inspiration.

One of the links mentions Merpati as a name.... not sure if I could use a name for my daughter that I'll forever link with delays, cancellations, airport departure lounges, and 14 year old pilots!! (seemingly!)

dug

May 9, 2006
los angeles
My wife Nengah and I just had a baby May 16 2006. The babys name is Ciara Ayu, Ciara is a old irish name meaning 'DARK' and of course Ayu is Indonesian meaning'BEAUTY'. We kinda of like that "east west" flow. Hope all is well with you all.....

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Hi LondonBoy and Dug

Welcome to the forum and congratulations for all of you on the joyful occasion....

Best Wishes

Ni Luh and JabberWokker

----

Terima kasih banyak Tante Mats for the links.