are there any martial arts dojos in Bali?

lise

And since I'm asking, what sort of classes are available for children in the Ubud area? My daughter does yoga which I know is available, but she's asking about dance classes etc. (age 5)

Lise,

get her on a surfboard. Growing up in Bali and not taking to the waves is akin to growing up in Aspen and not skiing. I know I'm biased. Good surfing schools around these days, (Cheyne Horan in Blue Ocean). The English School has it as part of the curriculum. Plenty of Dojos in D'pasar, Ubud can't help there. Silat is the indonesian martial discipline and that you should have no problem finding anywhere. It is a rigorous and oft beautiful form with many of the same rewards as judo.

Good luck, Nyai Loro Kidul and Py.

She'll be most definitely be getting on a surfboard...we live in Santa Cruz and all the men in her life surf, so she's been getting primed for it since the day she was born! She learned how to pop-up when she was two! She IS a five-year-old girl, though, and the ballet obsession is hitting full tilt right now...

don't worry...she's got a body like a quarter horse so she won't get far. We're encouraging her english riding which is her favorite thing in the whole world, and surfing/yoga. But i do have to indulge her desire for a dance class of some sort...

Back