A Reflection on Bali

Ringo

The other day I read in Algemeen Dagblad, a national Dutch newspaper, that 600,000 tourism-related jobs are at stake in Bali. Hotel occupany at the moment has already dropped to 14%.

If the tourists stay away (too long), it's Down and Out in Bali.

If only I could travel back in time, to observe Bali as it was in the days before Tourism...

No cars, no motorbikes, only dirt roads and dokars, no hotels, restaurants or bars, just a few losmen and many warungs, no timeshare, no 'beach hawkers' and no watches or dolphin watching.

Sometimes I wonder how the Balinese must feel about the rapid changes that took place in Bali in such a short time. I am fairly new to Bali - my first visit was in september '99 - so I have no memories of my own of the 'old days'.

But I remember well, one of my very first days in Bali I visited the Odalan of the Pura Ratu Gede in Tejakula. We arrived after sunset and had to climb up to the temple following narrow streets. It was my first aquaintance with 'traditional life' in an 'off-the-beaten-track' Balinese village. I walked through an exciting, colourful new world, like in a dream. While walking I looked left and right and regularly I got a glimpse of what was inside the old blistering paintless houses. Shabby furniture, as I expected, but also color TV sets, and I saw satellite dishes. Somehow this spoilt my 'dream' a bit, like a disonant in a beautiful concert, a disenchantment of a spell.

Another thing I learned (much later) is that Status plays an extremely important role in the lives of many Balinese. Besides color tv and vcd player, possessing a car and the latest model mobile phone are amongst the most striking examples for that matter. Even when they can't afford it, even when they can hardly (or not) pay the periodical bills of basic everyday life.

Last september I was in a VCD shop in Singaraja, searching for Balinese karaoke vcds - really cheap à raison rp. 4,000 per piece. Maybe they also sold "The Lord Of The Rings"? No sir. However, I did find hundreds of 'violent' vcds - kung-fu, horror, you name it. And especially the Third Generation Balinese seems to be fond of watching these films, even on television regularly violent movies are broadcasted.

Another disenchantment: the high number of alcohol- and drugaddicts, and suicides (of which many girls) among the youth.

How can this all be rhymed with the intentions of Balinese Hinduism? Where did it go 'wrong'?

Upacara Yadnya, the Sembahyang (praying) and Banten (offering) is done in an attempt to restore disbalances but I think that many (2nd and 3rd generation) Balinese have forgotten (or do not care) about the real intention of these ceremonies, namely to be reminded of Tatwa and Susila, meditation in order to cleanse ones thoughts, to control ones desires.

And now I think, if only I could travel forth in time, to observe Bali as it will be when the Third Generation has become the First... but I am afraid to do so.

:cry:

THE LOST BALI

A masterpiece of thoughts...Ringo....echoeing my own and others I am sure. The further ones gets away from the facade of the "tourist belt" the more one sees the REAL BALI, where there is still an adherance to the teachings of Hinduism...a protection of the guidance of the Gods.If only we could heal the minds of those who compete with the materialism of the "Western World"....those who need the same status of the tourists,who flash their money under the noses of the poor,even if they did save for a year to come here and spend it in a week,even if they did do it with the use of the dreaded credit card.....it is seen here as an unfair distribution of wealth...and they want a part of it to build their self esteem, be seen by their peers as successful,by their families as important "bread winners" by their teachers as having been "educated" in the art of self preservation...no...business accumen....even the colour of their skin is an important "assett"...the paler the skin the better, they think....so folk with pale skin get better jobs...nurses are an example...the paler the better...they tell me it looks cleaner...some are turned away coz their skin is "too black"...while the tourists clamour for sun-loungers by the pool and bare THEIR bodies to get the reddened proof of their credit card holiday.(good if you can show strap marks or add a bit of fake tan to tone down the redness)...so many folk come here to down as many Bintangs as possible,and cheer in exhuberance when the announcement came (on another forum and in the Oz. newspapers) that the dreaded Bintang was now available in Australia...whoopy doo...they can get drunk there and have Bali parties which are more authentic,they can wear their out of shape Bintang support group tee shirts and forty seven fake watches up their flabby arms and get out their Bali photos depicting their loyal friends ...Made from this bar,Wayan from that bar....who give their services so happily in return for a few dollars of "tip" money and a promise to return next year ,or a promise to fix their family problems....and then forget as soon as their plane touches down on home soil...it leaves the Balinese wondering why their tourist friend has forgotten to send that money as previously promised....so they look for another one to replace that friend who went away...and try again with a newer tourist......they evolve into little Suharto,s ,who has been their role model.....can you wonder at the change in the collective Balinese attitude. There may be one thing positive that came out of the bombing of the Kuta night club scene....some serious thinking in those from all walks of life about the real plight of the Balinese and its complexity.......G.

Re: THE LOST BALI

Gloria said:
....even the colour of their skin is an important "assett"...the paler the skin the better, they think....so folk with pale skin get better jobs...nurses are an example...the paler the better...they tell me it looks cleaner...some are turned away coz their skin is "too black"....

You a right. Amazing even on the tele I have seen commercials (I think it was Ponds?) promising 'a whiter skin'....
Also, many (women) think that visiting a western country for a longer time will 'whiten' their skin....

Back