Medical Insurance

FINIT

Mar 24, 2007
PERTH W AUSTRALIA
Hi, I have browsed all the associated threads but cannot seem to find an answer. We are moving over to Bali in 3 weeks and I need to arrange health/medical insurance. Where can I get not too expensive cover from? I have received several quotes but all are massive e.g., $3000 USD per year for a couple. From your experience, where do most of you get your cover from and at what costs? I hope that you can help. Thanks :D

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Take a look at this thread

It seems that you can get 12 months cover from Medibank Private for about AUS$1000 providing that you get it before you leave Australia. I have not done this yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You have to be very careful with the travel insurance as the devil is in detail. From the policy wording:

Duration of Cover

All trips must start and end from the United Kingdom (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands), and the policy must cover the whole duration of the trip, and cannot be effected once travel has commenced. If your insurance is under an Annual Multi-Trip Policy, a maximum duration for any one trip applies and this will be no longer than 93 days on a Classic Policy or 185 days on a Deluxe Policy. (The limit for Winter Sports cover will be shown on your Policy Schedule if the appropriate premium has been paid).

This would not be a true health insurance, just for travelling really. If you are intending to live here it will be expensive... or just stay healthy - 50 million Americans can't be wrong :evil:

FINIT

Mar 24, 2007
PERTH W AUSTRALIA
Hi Guys and thanks for the info. I ended up getting an annual travel insurance policy here in Australia from HBF. For others interested in getting insurance, it is called the Frequent traveller annual policy but be sure to tick that you need cover in one place for over 90 days. The cover is quite comprehensive including air evacuation in the event of sickness etc. I took out a world-wide cover which allows me to remain in one place for the entire year if I want. It cost $548 per person. A word of caution to others looking for insurance is to check that the policy covers you to be in one location for more than 90 days because so made policies do not cover this. In the end, I think the price was very good, less than $1100 a couple, that is less than what we pay in Australia.

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Hi...have also been searching for a while. Quick question - does one need to be Australian to get the one you mentioned FINIT? Does nationality and location matter in that case or the other suggestions? I'm Canadian (non-resident), living in Japan (permanent residency). Any ideas for my case? Japan's health insurance system is complicated and very expensive, so keeping it while abroad doesn't cover me, nor make sense. I'm thinking of going with some kind of "travel policy", as well??? Thanks in advance....

FINIT

Mar 24, 2007
PERTH W AUSTRALIA
Hi Sydjapan, If I remember right I think there was a question as to whether the applicant was an Australian resident. Have a look though because I know that you can get the insurance cover without being a member of HBF, my memory it was around 10% more expensive. I searched many covers but this one was the only one I found where you could stay in the one location for as long as one wanted. Sorry, I can't help further.