spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
We had a pembantu for around four years. She just left us recently. She had been with us since our son was born and was a huge help when our second child came along. She was a great worker and a nice person to have around. Things changed when she started dating one of our staff. He is about 10 years younger than her. He is Muslim and she is Balinese. They kept the relationship secret for a long time.

The woman has two adult children and divorced. When her family found out about the relationship, they told her to stop it immediately. They forced her to stop working for us, and her daughter told her to live with her in Denpasar (we are in Lovina). The children regularly check her phone for any contact with her boyfriend and someone from her family always goes out with her. The guy isn't working for us any longer, but still lives in Lovina.

The daughter is getting married soon in Lovina, so we have had a chance to catch up with her. She wants to continue the relationship, but her family are all against it, especially the daughter who seems to be controlling a lot of the family.

The reaction by the family was a surprise to me. My wife said that this is 'normal' in Indonesia. I feel sorry for her that she can't live her own life. They both seem happy together and the guy is a hard worker, doesn't drink, gamble.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
My thoughts are is how Feckin pathetic. To think that 2 people are happy in a relationship, but can not be together because they were born in to different religions is so feckin stupid.

Shame on her family for ruining her chance to be happy. How incredibly selfish.

I could keep ranting on how much I hate this situation but I will leave it at that.