Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
This story is really heart breaking. What an incredible young woman.

This sort of **** really makes my blood boil. And the scarey thing is it can happen to anyone.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
This whole JIS South Jakarta court case is very well covered in another Indonesian Expat forum where many posters have personal knowledge of the school and the teachers who were recently convicted. There is more info there as the court was held 'in camera' without any media in attendance. Apparently the senior judge wrote a 400 page review of her decision to convict where she denied nearly all the defence arguments including evidence from a Singapore Hospital, but accepted prosecution evidence such as 'magic stones' inserted in the child's anus and that one teacher 'only' had sex with his wife once per week, therefore he could be a possible/probable pedophile.
It appears that the school will soon be sued in a civil court for US$125M, after the appeals of the convicted have been denied.

I agree with Rangi that it is very scary...and can happen to anyone. Hati-hati.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The thread you mentioned is 500 pages long and someone even mentioned it is longer than the judges review! I looked at a few posts at the start and everyone seems to think a crime was committed and at the end, at least some of the people involved (including the foreigner) is innocent.

I know the cleaners were convicted and one of them committed suicide, do people think they are innocent also? If anyone has a summary of the whole case, please post a link.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
At last it looks like justice has prevailed as the Jakarta High Court has acquitted the two JIS teachers on appeal and they will be released from jail soon.
The claim for US$125M by the accuser was thrown out of court a few days ago...now, hopefully, the cleaner's case review will also be an acquittal.
The accuser committed defamation, according to a Singapore court, and was ordered to pay some restitution as the allegations that her child was sexually abused were denied by many doctors.

G

Gurkha

I'll warrant that the cleaners are conveniently forgotten as it is not as sensationalist as an article printed about expats!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'll warrant that the cleaners are conveniently forgotten as it is not as sensationalist as an article printed about expats!

Your point has little merit because the Jakarta Post article was on page 9 under the heading 'Greater Jakarta' which also included other points like 'Free train rides on Monday' and an article about 'Men's Health'.

If I were cynical I'd say the news is being suppressed to avoid sensationalism.