Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Just read this on the Bali Discovery site.

"A Zone Defense
Calls to Demolish Illegal Structures and Jail Those who Break Building Permit Regulations

(11/3/2013) A member of a special legislative committee to examine problems and issues surrounding the issuance of Building Permits (IMB) is calling for those proven to be violating existing rules to be subjected to criminal prosecution.

Bali Post reports that Nyoman Satria, a member of an IMB Legislative Task Force (PANSUS IMB), says violations of IMB rules have become rampant due to weak enforcement by the relevant agencies of the government. “Stronger supervision from the applicable agencies must be strengthened further in order that the number of violations can be reduced,: said Satria.

Satria said the punishments handed down for those who break IMB rules are far too light. He said fines imposed by the law would not answer the problem, with jail time and forced demolition of structures now needed.

To this end, Satria is calling for criminal penalties to be included in current plans to redraft zoning laws.

Bali News: A Zone Defense

Will this just be used to squeeze money out of transgressors or will they be serious about this law now? (or both?). Will pose some interesting problems, particularly along the cliff-top "hanging villas" in Bukit.

:barbershop_quartet_:barbershop_quartet_:barbershop_quartet_:barbershop_quartet_

:topsy_turvy:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
"jailtime" ??? I think that is going to be a whole lot of work (making the law, proposal, amendments, approvement, introducing the law) to make "jailtime" applicable when someone would be violation of said law...
On top of that, who would actually be in violation? The architect/contractor/developer who applied for the IMB, or the goverment official that issued the IMB for that building, or the nominee, or the foreign owner ?

imho, someone (Nyoman) is trying to make a name in politics...

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
If people with the wrong IMB gets punished, how about the millions of locals without IMB?
I agree with you Gilbert, this is just a local politician looking for the camera spotlight before the election:hopelessness:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
There are many reasons for the building “chaos” in Bali. On that subject, I would like to know from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum, the relationship, regarding the laws, between the Central Government, headed by Pak Made and the Chamber of Representatives, and the eight Regencies, plus Denpasar. Can the Governor of a Kabupaten overrule, modify, or refuse to enforce a law passed by the Parliament?

I’m under the impression that each of the Regencies is somewhat independent from the Central Government. At first glance, this would seem totally illogical, but there has been a great effort toward decentralization since Suharto got the boot, plus, after all, that this is Indonesia…:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
"Illegal Structures" and "violations of IMB rules".

It would seem that there are existing laws but they keep getting broken (or are not enforced). And the existing "penalties" aren't severe enough deterents as they stand.

...who would actually be in violation? The architect/contractor/developer who applied for the IMB, or the goverment official that issued the IMB for that building, or the nominee, or the foreign owner ?

Maybe all of them but especially the government officials granting the IMBs.
It doesn't really sound like rocket science to me.

:highly_amused:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
................. On that subject, I would like to know from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum, the relationship, regarding the laws, between the Central Government, headed by Pak Made and the Chamber of Representatives, and the eight Regencies, plus Denpasar. Can the Governor of a Kabupaten overrule, modify, or refuse to enforce a law passed by the Parliament?

I’m under the impression that each of the Regencies is somewhat independent from the Central Government. At first glance, this would seem totally illogical, but there has been a great effort toward decentralization since Suharto got the boot, plus, after all, that this is Indonesia…:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

Yes, your impression is pretty much as it is. The decentralisation after Suharto's departure, was started by Habibie, and the new laws took effect in 2001. The national government collects most of the money, then provides funds directly to regencies, largely by-passing Provinces. The funds are for education , health, police etc. Regencies issue the IMBs etc, so get to interpret rules and regulations. Governor Pastika may seek to influence the rules and regulations for the Province of Bali, but he does not really have much control over the Bupatis.

There is an interesting paper from Feb 2005 that gives some of the history of these changes - it is at http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/18097/1/MPRA_paper_18097.pdf

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Sorry - my comment was based upon a notion that real "laws" exist in this country. Obviously a lapse of judgement on my part.
What was I thinking?

Indonesia's governments could be described as "Fawlty Powers" in action.

Excuse me while I slap myself in the face (hard or harder).

:icon_redface: