Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
So Bali get around 15-20 million international tourist per year??
East Java has about 100-135 million people and if you said 50% were dirt poor, that means there are still 60 million that want to go out and eat??.
Burger King has just opened up two stores, Surabaya Mall had more then 30 people waiting to order let alone try and find a seat. Pakwon is expanding to over 2000 shops and I'm the only white guy there, the local have a lot of money to spend. If you look at the number of B & L plates, most of them own villas and business in Bali.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I had dinner at Panterei the other night. It's a mid-range Greek restaurant on Jalan Basangkasa, near Bintang Supermarket. If I had to guess, I would say that more than 70 percent of the patrons were local.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Been back in Australia for awhile and then transit through Bali to Surabaya, some of the prices have just gone through the roof.
I have a chicken schnitzel gauge most pubs in Australia $10.50 with a glass of beer, Bali around Legian Rp80,000-100,000, Surabaya Rp45,000.
The tourist will pay the price for food even if its more expansive then Australia but whinge there tits off because the taxi driver charges $1 too much but still under the flag fall in Australia for a taxi?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
80% of the good going businesses in Bali are tourist oriented and the rest of Indonesia is mixed agrarian and local businesses feeding local people - not IT.

I come from an IT background and can tell you that the infrastructure/access to knowledge or other IT infrastructure in Indonesia is woefully lacking for any meaningful or hopeful IT startup.

I used to live and work in IT in San Jose (Silicon Valley), Munich and London and know a little of where I speak.

If you want to make a small fortune in IT here - start with a large fortune.

See a doctor.

tourist and export oriented ;) actually there's real good money in "feeding local people" - most of the F&B would choose the locals over the (more & more chinese & australian) tourists - simply because they spend more

You don't get out enough markit. I went to dinner at holy cow, had to wait for a set.

I seem to have been backed (figuratively and literally) into a corner that I didn't actually mean to head for. My original statement was I think misunderstood to be actually talking about "feeding" when I was only metaphorically talking about "supplying" Indonesians with their every day wants. The original question had to do with starting an IT business which I still think might be more of a challenge here than many other options - for instance a weight loss company for all those fat feckers that are filling up Bali's warungs and keep us Bule standing in line...

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
for instance a weight loss company for all those fat feckers that are filling up Bali's warungs and keep us Bule standing in line...

That's why I was interested with Sophie new adventure, Herbalife is so big in Indonesia. I was thinking was she looking to cash in on the local or the tourist market.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Fred2. You would die of hunger and thirst trying to find chicken schnitzel and a beer for $10.50 in Perth Aust. RSL club cheapest meal was $12, 2 years ago and a small beer about $5.
Meeting friends for pub lunch next Tuesday. Will post minimum costs then.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The article was focused on IT skills and startups. Why would anyone start an IT company where the locals think digital watches are pretty cool still?

This comes back to the usual problem we see a lot of in Bali in that people want to start some sort of business here so that they can be in Bali and then try and shoe-horn their business into the local economy.

Surprise, surprise when it doesn't fit?
ave you ever noticed how many people working in South Bali are from the Amlapura area? Hordes!

As for no-shows can't say that I've had that experience. People come knocking asking for work - probably since I'm such a great guy to work for...?!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The only "insight" I can point to is that sometimes I'm way too arseholy and not nearly enough listeny.

Being right isn't always the best option for helping beginners and I should know that.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Cookie Policy obstructed my view.

Whatever happened to "cookies with milk" being the norm for the mentioning of "cookies". I'm beginning to be way to old to want to understand "new" stuff. I simply don't want to change my understanding to understand all the "new" bulltaco.

Cookies are a mixture of eggs, flour and raisins or chocolate chips made by your mother because she was bored and wanted to impress the men in her life not some ****ing stupid piece of software attached to some other piece of ****ing software to tell some idiot programmer who's been visiting his useless website so he can extract more money from a know nothing boss who thinks his company is king of the website world.

I'm just sooooo tired (and not a little drunk) of all the tsunami bull****s.

Selamat Bintang

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Count yourself one of the lucky ones. You are witnessing this descent into mindless banality from afar. I am still in the thick of it, a small cog in a large American multinational with our very own Gender Diversity Officer and Women in Leadership council. Only yesterday there was a feed in my junk email from our new Facebook at Work (which I steadfastly refuse to sign up for) telling us fossils that we must become students again so that we can avoid turning into the "lost generation" unable to function in this brave new world, "legacy executives" that nobody wants to employ. The arrogance is simply staggering.

I've learned to ignore it all, it's the only way. Beer helps.