Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Indonesia’s Culture and Tourism Minister Jero Wacik is a notoriously arrogant, ignorant and incompetent man.

Of course there are huge problems in Bali. The place is filthy, the roads are congested, the air is polluted, and unregulated development is destroying the place.

Oh! and of course the Jero Wacik's of the Indonesian Elite, will be sunning themselves in the Caribbean not Costa del Kuta.

You might want to be a little cautious with your picking on the government - this aint London or Washington my friend:icon_wink:

I don't know about Europe because I haven't lived there

I have and they have huge problems with waste disposal - for instance you will rarely find a public rubbish bin any more in either Germany or England because since both countries started trying to crack down on the amount individuals produced they had the brilliant idea of charging them for each bin full - end effect....

you've probably guessed it which makes you a whole lot smarter than the combined governments of those countries,

anyway the end result was that people started dumping their waste in the countryside, in the case of England and in Germany each street has it's padlocked little houses where the maggots flourish in summer as bio-trash is separated as it all other into its own little/large container - massively complicated to use and organize (How could the Germans do otherwise?:icon_wink:)

oh... that breaks my heart... :(

me 2

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
Well, maybe there are 3 steps:

1. rubbish is thrown in rivers
2. good rains flush the rivers to the sea
3. winds may then push this onto the beaches

Clearly, governments cannot control the winds or the rains, but there is a chance they can some impact on step 1.

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
Absolutely .teach the people to recycle give incentives ..give them so many rupiah for recyclables ..advertise it .they will work all day. For 100k..and watch Bali clean up .and it will bring the tourists back..and the super desperate may stop their crime spree..

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
Yep it's education ..teach them the damage to their environment and wallets.its stopping tourism and incentive..give them a little cash when they recycle or just make it easier for them to do the right thing.bins and pick ups..incentive..and pride in their own environment...

harryopal

May 5, 2016
The ongoing discussion about rubbish in Bali may tempt one to think it is hopeless. It's certainly bad but it aint hopeless. As a child growing up in Australia the issues of rubbish really only came to the fore towards the end of the 50s as working class people became a little more affluent and cars became available to the average man and woman. It was common for people to just throw cigarette packets, soda bottles left over food as they drove around the country. It was also common for people to finish a picnic and leave the rubbish behind. Ravines and gorges tended to be used as rubbish dumps by country people without much thought.

It took many years of education before the average Australia began to act sensibly and a major commitment of the various levels of government from councils to federal to finally get serious about rubbish. If Indonesians continue a process of public education and get serious about disposal things will improve.

But here is the great irony. We tend to be overly concerned about the aesthetics of waste disposal with the focus on looking clean and neat. It struck me many years ago visiting outback Aboriginal communities as to the appalling litter with broken glass, waste and faeces strewn everywhere around local communities. (Bear in mind that these had been nomadic peoples so that as they moved on, when they returned that natural organic waste had disappeared.) And then it struck me that this appalling waste problem could be cleaned up with machinery and a bit of human effort in a few days. While white society was seriously poisoning the whole environement with toxic chemicals and other pollutants that poison the very earth.

Back to Bali. Huge problems but not insurmountable as a new generation begins to appreciate the environment in which they live.

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
You are so with it ..you must be similar era as me born in 1950..it really started in the sixties when a few fast food joints got going one didn.t think twice about just throwing there rubbish from a moving car or what ever..my dad used to bury rubbish at the back fence..but most of it was break down to nothing...then came the plastics..things had to change ..its the same in Bali.. education...and that is happening friends of mine over there have a 15 year old ..she neat .tidy and learning not to litter..it will happen..but a lot of these plastics have got to go..replace the single use or any plastic bags with brown paper..still a couple of uses and dissolve into humus..makes sense