Philip108

Jun 29, 2010
Ubud
Hi everyone,

We are about to begin installing and finishing or doors & windows for our house.

Does anyone here knows any good team of workers for white wash finishings on wood? as well as installation of doors & windows?
Will be great to get some recommendations if you previously have met some good guys.

Philip

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Are you talking about true whitewash - lime, salt, etc. or do you mean white paint?

If you mean white paint then most half decent workers here on Bali can do a pretty good job of that - mostly the quality of the finished job depends upon the paint you use. I recommend the most expensive Dulux Weathercoat Pro for the outside walls (inside any cheapy is fine) is basically a plastic and if your walls are water-proof from above will last a long time and look great.

Why would you whitewash wood? Wood needs dying and varnish not whitewash...

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Used to hire a lot of tukang from Java and they also have the same opinion with you Markit:
The best result that you would want from any wood is to enhanced the appearance from its natural look, white is for people being used to the image of white is clean and good :icon_wink:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ferdie the best "finishers" here are from Java - even the Balinese say that. The Javanese gangs(building) do the best detail work and are all round great builders.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I found out that some of the best Balinese tukang has great result too but they also have a lot of limitation and having problems working with a deadline and most of all they charge you in a "premium price" but if you can afford it and has a social nature, why not? :icon_e_biggrin:

The problem nowadays is, most of the people who called themselves local tukang doesn't even qualified as a tukang since most of them didn't have the experience and technical knowledge like the older generation of tukang, a lot of the tukang now became tukang out of incidental reason, like the payment as tukang is better than carving statues :icon_e_biggrin: