surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
We recently moved to Bali from Canada and my wife brought her Vitamix blender. It's 120 voltage, 50/60 hz, 11.5 amps. Can anyone suggest a shop that sells voltage transformers? I've done tons of Google searches, as well as searches on this forum, and have found nothing.

Before anyone suggests we just buy a new blender here, understand that the Vitamix has entire online forums dedicated to its use. It's more a lifestyle (cult?) than a product. Others have suggested that my wife just use another blender. She's not budging.

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
We recently moved to Bali from Canada and my wife brought her Vitamix blender. It's 120 voltage, 50/60 hz, 11.5 amps. Can anyone suggest a shop that sells voltage transformers? I've done tons of Google searches, as well as searches on this forum, and have found nothing.

Before anyone suggests we just buy a new blender here, understand that the Vitamix has entire online forums dedicated to its use. It's more a lifestyle (cult?) than a product. Others have suggested that my wife just use another blender. She's not budging.

Go to Jalan Hasanuddin in the centre of Denpasar. The eastern end of Hasanuddin is the place where all of the good electrical shops are. They will have it, or they will order it, or even get it made for you.

Also the central part of Jalan Gatot Subroto (known as and called locally - GATSU) is now graced with a McD and a KFC at the traffic lights with Jalan Nangka where there is a big statue of Ngurah Rai in the centre of the road. {I'm not, of course suggesting that you eat any of their interesting and no doubt wonderfully nourishing products!} but they are handy for navigating. From McD go about 300 yards west on the same side of GATSU and look for MEGA ELECTRIC. They are more or less opposite a big shop selling all kinds of motor powered machines - it's called MEGA JAYA and is very easy to see.

MEGA ELECTRIC have made a transformer for me in the past - still going strong after many years.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
Also many 'Stavolt' (voltage regulators) Have a 220 and 110 volt output.

Make sure the Stavolt can handle the 11.5 A - or 1.38 kW @ 120V - and twice that when the motor starts up. You're looking for a 3kW Stavolt.

If you're buying a trafo, as transformers are called here, make sure it can take, say, 24A at max surge.

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
Go to Jalan Hasanuddin in the centre of Denpasar. The eastern end of Hasanuddin is the place where all of the good electrical shops are. They will have it, or they will order it, or even get it made for you.

Also the central part of Jalan Gatot Subroto (known as and called locally - GATSU) is now graced with a McD and a KFC at the traffic lights with Jalan Nangka where there is a big statue of Ngurah Rai in the centre of the road. {I'm not, of course suggesting that you eat any of their interesting and no doubt wonderfully nourishing products!} but they are handy for navigating. From McD go about 300 yards west on the same side of GATSU and look for MEGA ELECTRIC. They are more or less opposite a big shop selling all kinds of motor powered machines - it's called MEGA JAYA and is very easy to see.

MEGA ELECTRIC have made a transformer for me in the past - still going strong after many years.

Hope this helps!

Yes, that helps a lot - thanks so much, Alex! It'll probably take us a couple of days to muster the courage to drive into the centre of Denpasar, but we'll check out the eastern end of Hasanuddin, along with MEGA ELECTRIC, as you recommend.

Cheers!

Moe

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have to agree with Alex and get an appropriate transformer. All dedicated transformers are step-up or step-down and can easily do that function so long as your appliance is variable 50/60 hertz.
You have indicated the blender uses 11.5 amps @ 120VAC...... is that its MAX or RUN rating?
That will determine the size of transformer you wil need. They may be a little bulky so make some space in the kitchen......
Ace, Mitra 10 and Depo Bunganan also sell transformers but probably not good quality, and certainly not cheap, but gives you an insight into your requirement.... then...I would go with Alex's suggestion!

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
I have to agree with Alex and get an appropriate transformer. All dedicated transformers are step-up or step-down and can easily do that function so long as your appliance is variable 50/60 hertz.
You have indicated the blender uses 11.5 amps @ 120VAC...... is that its MAX or RUN rating?
That will determine the size of transformer you wil need. They may be a little bulky so make some space in the kitchen......
Ace, Mitra 10 and Depo Bunganan also sell transformers but probably not good quality, and certainly not cheap, but gives you an insight into your requirement.... then...I would go with Alex's suggestion!

No need to put it in the kitchen. You can put it anywhere in the house and then get an electrician to run you a cable from the trafo to the kitchen where it can have its own socket (USA type sockets are available here in all good electrical shops - are Canadian sockets the same?) specially for the Vitamix.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I was only indicating to the OP that a transformer to step-down from 240/120VAC @ 11.5 amps may be bulky...I was not attempting to be specific in its location!!!
I do not know if the OP is familiar with electrical differences between N. America and Indonesian systems. He/she may have concluded that a small transformer like 240-12v, same as I use all over my villa for lighting and is matchbox size, was in his/her thinking....that's all.
Nevertheless...@ Op I agree with Alex that an appropriate location for a transformer should be found for any N. American/Japanese original 120VAC appliance, and appropriate stop-sockets provided to use the original plug-end, and communicate household advisories on its purpose.

surfermoe

Oct 3, 2012
Just to close off this discussion: we were able to find an excellent place in Denpasar to buy a "stabilizer" for Canadian electronics. One of the guys from the shop delivered the stabilizer to our house, set it up, and explained how we can avoid electrocuting ourselves to death when using it (I still stay far away from it). We paid IDR 1 million for the stabilizer.

Here are the contact details:

Matsuyama Automatic Voltage Regulator Electrical
Pt. Gunindo Trimukti
Jl. Jepun Putih No. 6 Gatsu Timur, Denpasar
Tel: (0361) 461050

The technician we dealt with there is called Nyoman Duwita. His number is 081 337 586 464, or 0361 8680575

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Glad you found something suitable. Just for interest...how big is it....is it bigger than the blender?