Where to buy sugar soap or something similar

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I want to get some painting done and want to make sure the surface is cleaned well before starting the job. In the past I have used sugar soap. Does anyone know if this is availabe in Bali or if there is a local equivalent?

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
I want to get some painting done and want to make sure the surface is cleaned well before starting the job. In the past I have used sugar soap. Does anyone know if this is availabe in Bali or if there is a local equivalent?

Best just use Soda.Here it is called soda api (Fire)because it gets hot when immersed in water.it is sold in shops that sell paint and tools.There is a milder kind,soda-ash that is sold in poolshops.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Best just use Soda.Here it is called soda api (Fire)because it gets hot when immersed in water.it is sold in shops that sell paint and tools.There is a milder kind,soda-ash that is sold in poolshops.

That is caustic soda, better used for clearing blocked drains. You don't want to get any on your skin. Nasty stuff.

Any one coming to the north of Bali from Europe? Bring sugar soap and get the cost knocked off your hotel bill.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Is that Soda api any good for getting rid of mold?

It probably is.You mean before painting?Anyway it is quite strong,so better not use it on surfaces that should stay nice.I used it(had it used)to clean paint from walls that was flaking because of inundation.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Soda-api

It probably is.You mean before painting?Anyway it is quite strong,so better not use it on surfaces that should stay nice.I used it(had it used)to clean paint from walls that was flaking because of inundation.

PS: It is strong stuff,so wear rubber gloves.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Soda Api again.

]That is caustic soda, better used for clearing blocked drains. You don't want to get any on your skin. Nasty stuff.

Sorry,Matt,i did not see your post before my last reply.That is true,but for drains it is hardly diluted.If used for cleaning,it should be diluted sufficiently.
Hydrochloric acid is nasty stuff as well,but is used in pools to lower Hp when diluted.I use it also to get rid off green stuff on my wooden pooldeck,sufficiently diluted.Very efficient.

Last edited:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Sorry,Matt,i did not see your post before my last reply.That is true,but for drains it is hardly diluted.If used for cleaning,it should be diluted sufficiently.
Hydrochloric acid is nasty stuff as well,but is used in pools to lower Hp when diluted.I use it also to get rid off green stuff on my wooden pooldeck,sufficiently diluted.Very efficient.

Yes I use the HCl acid too great for cleaning rust stains off tiles.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
yea the mold is on walls that are already painted, is there anything else you could recommend?

Try the Bayclean kitchen cleaner handspray if the paint surface is not glossy.
It is strong stuff,kills ants instantly also.I regularly use it on grease stains on the painted kitchenwalls and the latex paint seems to hold up well.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar

If you google "sugar soap"there is a wikipedia article saying the main ingredient is sodium.
In France and Belgium it is called St.Marc.So basically we are talking about the same product.No need to import any.You might try soda ash first if you fear soda-api is too strong.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you google "sugar soap"there is a wikipedia article saying the main ingredient is sodium.

The sodium carbonate (NaCO3) mentioned in the wikipedia article is soda ash or washing soda - not caustic soda (NaOH).

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
The sodium carbonate (NaCO3) mentioned in the wikipedia article is soda ash or washing soda - not caustic soda (NaOH).

Thanks for the scientific input Ron.As i said in a previous post soda ash might be used as well.It is sold in poolshops at about 8000rp per kilogram.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Is HCI available in supermarket??? or a hardware store???
thanks, in anticipation of reply!!

HCL,Hydrochloric Acid(not HCI)is sold by poolshops,but usually in big 25 liter containers.Ask at Budi's pool shop in jalan raya Peliatan.maybe they can level off some.I am not sure where else it would be for sale,my guess maybe big shops for building materials.Or borrow some from someone with a pool,it is a standard thing to have for lowering PH.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Is HCI available in supermarket??? or a hardware store???
thanks, in anticipation of reply!!
Can buy 17% srength HCl in Hardys . Its name is 'Vixal' and sold as a tile cleaner in a blue plastic bottle. It comes in 14% too. The strong one is the one with the orange cap.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Can buy 17% srength HCl in Hardys . Its name is 'Vixal' and sold as a tile cleaner in a blue plastic bottle. It comes in 14% too. The strong one is the one with the orange cap.

Thanks Mat, greatly appreciated :icon_razz:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Does sodium carbonate make the water hot when added? I thought only the caustic stuff or lime would do that.