QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
Hi there,

I'm wondering where I can buy a decent charcoal grill, would prefer one with a lid for smoking etc, where can I buy one? There are some at Carrefour for 200k but pretty bad quality and a bit small. Don't want to spend over a million either since I'll probably only use it for a couple of months before moving again.

TIA

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would think you could get one made to order if you took a plan of what you wanted to one of the ironsmiths that seem to be in every town, usually doing iron railing and gates but they're pretty good at making to order. There are lots of plans on the internet for making what you are after from old oil drums.

QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
Great idea actually, thanks I'll look into it (coincidentally I looked at some plans two days ago haha)

Still if someone else knows a place in southern Bali I'd check that out too

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Bring your meat around my place, I already have the grill. It is all too easy.

I understand from my sources that you also recently had a serious cheese delivery so we can throw his meat on your barbie and have a fondue evening with those drinks with umbrellas and little name tags too. Saturday at your sister's Sweet Magnolia sound good?

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Actually I have one of the Carrefour ones with a lid, the kettle type, yes around 1 million IDR but it makes a great smoker/griller. You can always try to sell it afterwards. Charcoal you buy local in a warung. 1500 idr for a large bag. And hardwood-sawdust-chips for smoking you can get anywhere they make furniture or doors etc.

QuestionMark

Feb 11, 2012
The ~1 million one I liked but it's sold out and doesn't come back anytime soon they said. Now they only have the chappy 200k model and some gas ones. Someone recommend ace hardware to me, will check that out today

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Actually I have one of the Carrefour ones with a lid, the kettle type, yes around 1 million IDR but it makes a great smoker/griller. You can always try to sell it afterwards. Charcoal you buy local in a warung. 1500 idr for a large bag. And hardwood-sawdust-chips for smoking you can get anywhere they make furniture or doors etc.

Be sure the hardwood chips and sawdust are from UNTREATED wood, or you will end up smoking your meat with some unwanted chemicals.

Reactions: Shadrach
G

Gurkha

Try one of these - a barbecue / smoker / grill / rotisserie. Made in Bali out of marine grade stainless steel.
Half Lamb 2.jpg
Vabene1.jpg

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Can you please let me know where you got this Smoker BBQ?

I know I am finding this post REALLY late, but hoping to start smoking my own meats in Bali and this one looked good.

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Any idea where I might be able to get one of these made?

Also- Where is a good place to buy decent cuts of meat/ chicken/ pork that is safe to eat (some of the meat at the markets looked a little green foe me), and that is not outrageously expensive (AKA Festive and others).

Thanks in advance.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Take a print out from this page or similar How to Build Your Own BBQ Barrel along to any of the guys doing the filigree fencing or gates and I'm sure they will happily knock your smoker together.

I've been eating the market meats now for 8 years without the least problem - you have to cook the local beef for a long time before you can chew it anyway so everything is long dead... Pork here is wonderful and doesn't last long enough at the markets to get old, ditto chicken. The only goat I've found that wasn't stupid expensive was at Lotte, ditto Oz Lamb.

Am I invited to the first barby?

lush4111

Jul 28, 2015
I understand from my sources that you also recently had a serious cheese delivery......

Hi Markit, where is the best place to get a good amount of cheese? I have had a look at Lottemart and it is pricey for the amount you get. I saw Massimos get a delivery of about 50x20kg blocks and my eyes almost popped out of my head! I'm after a blocks about that size but unsure where to shop and even how much they would be. Any ideas?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
None, nada, nix - if you find anywhere that's got good and cheap cheese it probably won't be in Indo as all the good stuff is imported and hung with 150% import duty.

Maybe if a few of us put our money together we can get Geedee to come back with a supply, I'm damned near out by the by!

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
None, nada, nix - if you find anywhere that's got good and cheap cheese it probably won't be in Indo as all the good stuff is imported and hung with 150% import duty.

Maybe if a few of us put our money together we can get Geedee to come back with a supply, I'm damned near out by the by!

I had a dream ,I always knew that one day, somehow, somewhere I would come in handy.
I do happen to be going to my brother in laws wedding in Bandung in August unless the wedding doesn't go ahead, which could easily happen ,he has pulled out before but only 3 times.
I will definitely stop in Bali for a week or 2 so you have only 5 months to wait.