What's up with Australia

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I see so many posts on fb about Aussies looking to move to Bali. I thought it was just the warm weather and low cost of living, but it seems like Australia has changed so much for the worse.

I talked to an Australian the other day and we were talking about internet privacy. He was telling me all your emails, texts, web browsing history are kept for 2 years.

Then I read this article which only reaffirms of what I was thinking: http://www.traveller.com.au/australia-the-land-of-the-idiot-gi36oy

Is it really that bad?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Isn't it funny what people fret about. The data retention laws started operating in Australia a few months back. Telephone companies and ISPs must retain metadata so that law enforcers can go through a process to access them. So do these people believe Indonesia is less intrusive?

Reactions: F18
F

F4UCorsair

My guess would be that Indonesia is a LOT MORE intrusive, but a LOT MORE disorganized, so perhaps not the same degree of monitoring?

I have NO objection to my emails, or anything else being monitored.....I'm not up to no good, so if it catches a few bad guys, then I'm all for it.

Some people are opposed to CCTV cameras on shopfronts, street corners, etc., seeing it as a violation of their civil liberties. What about my civil liberties when some dead beat threatens me, or rolls me, robs me, etc.??? CCTV has been responsible for catching way more crooks than implicating good people in anything.

OP, I think you'll find that those complaining on fb, or any social media, have too much time on their hands, and would be whining just as much wherever they lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: F18

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Is it really that bad?
IMHO, I think it’s getting worse. I meet Ozzies here regularly who are trying to “escape”.
Had enough, can’t afford to live there, just lost their job, pension problems, etc. I grew up in Australia, but now live here.
When I go back there, it kind of freaks me out. It’s not all bad. However, I prefer the disorganised chaos here, warts and all. I’m used to it, but stuffed if I know how Indonesia will get “better” as far as the millions of poor people are concerned.
I thought that one comment from the site you linked above rang true for me:
Ben Hudson’s comment: Biggest problem here is that you look at one bunch of idiots and think "oh nah", then you look at the other bunch of idiots and think "really? is that the best we can do?", then you look at the alternatives and just cry.
Currently, there is an Indonesian boofhead Communications minister who is threatening to block Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, in Indonesia. Well good luck on that.

We should never forget that the world is full of idiots, more so than ever, and these days some of the biggest of them haven’t been removed yet. (USA, Australia, North Korea, China, Zimbabwe, UK, Nigeria, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Sudan, South Africa…)

Even more reason to get a good VPN service in case Indonesia tries to shut down contact with the rest of the world.

What a wonderful world, indeed.

Reactions: Foamcrest

F18

Sep 28, 2014
Bali and Melbourne
Nothing to worry about in Australia unless you have a desire to operate outside the law. It's still a great country in which to live, and compared with Indonesia, or any developing country.......well, there is no comparison. Australia is streets ahead. Indonesia/Bali may be a great place to retire, but it lacks a lot of the services that Australians take for granted.

Reactions: hecta

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Nothing to worry about in Australia unless you have a desire to operate outside the law. It's still a great country in which to live, and compared with Indonesia, or any developing country.......well, there is no comparison. Australia is streets ahead. Indonesia/Bali may be a great place to retire, but it lacks a lot of the services that Australians take for granted.

While I wouldn't generally disagree with F18, I am in Indonesia because I had the choice of living in extreme poverty on a pension which was reduced because I was married or living in modest comfort in Indonesia.

Reactions: hecta

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Occasionally have a late swim at the southern end of Jimbaran beach at the last group of umbrellas where a vendor has chairs and beach umbrellas and serves coconut juice and Bintang. If you settle on which day I could meet you there with my wife around 5 pm. You can email me at h.martin@ozemail.com.au

Happy motorbiking.

H