PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
After reading many threads on this theme, I am still a bit confused.

I just need to know what typ of visa is the most easily to get for 1 year stay and should I arrange it through an agent ?

I am in Bali now and have just 30d VOA.

I don't want to work here or to do any local business or so.

Thanks for any advice.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Tricky, the other 1 year 'visas' are Kitas. Retirement Kitas, wife sponsored kitas..
I think your best bet is to try to convert your VOA into a '60 day 211' Visa and then you have to renew every 30 days up to a max stay of 180 days. then you will have to leave the country to renew your visa. [There are many threads on this subject.] The other option is to get a 'sosbud 211' you need a sponser and renewal much like the other 211.
Why not ask a an agent these questions, because It is so much easier if you don't know the process or speak the language to use one.
Have a look through the previous threads on visas all the answers are there.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
Yes, definitely use an agent - there are a few mentioned on the forum.

I'm pretty sure that you can only get the voa extended for 30 more days. Then you will have to leave the country. Come back on a sosbud visa which will give you 6 months (60 days + 4 X 30 day extensions). The you will have to leave the country again and get another sosbud visa to cover the remaining 4 months of your stay.

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for the info.

Is there any difference between the sosbud 60d+4x30d ext and the tourist visa issued by the embassy valid for 60d+4x30d ext?

It seems to be easier to go to Singapore for the 60d tourist visa than to ask some locals to act as a sponsor to get the sosbud.

Or is it better to ask for multiple entry business visa, according to the information issued by some agency on its website the validity should be 12 months (not verified).

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the info.

Is there any difference between the sosbud 60d+4x30d ext and the tourist visa issued by the embassy valid for 60d+4x30d ext?

It seems to be easier to go to Singapore for the 60d tourist visa than to ask some locals to act as a sponsor to get the sosbud.

Or is it better to ask for multiple entry business visa, according to the information issued by some agency on its website the validity should be 12 months (not verified).

According to immigration the tourist visa issued from an embassy is not extendable past 60 days, although I have heard of some people who have somehow managed to get it extended, principally in Bali.

The multi-entry sosbud and business visa still requires the holder to exit RI within 60 days. The only advantage is the holder can return the same day....I've done it. Flew to KL in the morning, bought a litre of vodka and flew back in the afternoon.

Last edited:

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
According to immigration the tourist visa issued from an embassy is not extendable past 60 days, although I have heard of some people who have somehow managed to get it extended, principally in Bali.

The multi-entry sosbud and business visa still requires the holder to exit RI within 60 days. The only advantage is the holder can return the same day....I've done it. Flew to KL in the morning, bought a litre of vodka and flew back in the afternoon.

I have read many discussions where some people written they have managed multiple extensions of their 60d tourist visa - so it is really confusing.

Should I apply for a new sosbud visa (in SG?) or convert my recent tourist visa 30d VOA) to sosbud visa - how to manage the conversion and should I do it here in Bali or again at the embassy in SG and do I need any local sponsor or not?

I asked some agents for clarifications of the that matter but their answers varied so any practical experience on that would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have read many discussions where some people written they have managed multiple extensions of their 60d tourist visa - so it is really confusing.

Should I apply for a new sosbud visa (in SG?) or convert my recent tourist visa 30d VOA) to sosbud visa - how to manage the conversion and should I do it here in Bali or again at the embassy in SG and do I need any local sponsor or not?

I asked some agents for clarifications of the that matter but their answers varied so any practical experience on that would be really appreciated.

1. So have I but I don't know how it is done. Many websites from foreign RI Embassies say it is NOT extendable. Perhaps other forum members that have exteded this visa can jump-in.

2. A sponsor who lives in Bali WILL be required for a Sosbud...someone with a kitas can be a sponsor but it is better if an Indonesian, to be certain.

3. You will need to go to SG or any other Embassy/Consul with the sponsors invitation to get a Sosbud. A Sosbud is not issued in Indonesia; only at Embassies/Consuls in foreign countries.

4. I used Bali_Mode for my retirement visa...I was in their office today to get the visa into my new passport. It isn't necessary to use an agent for a Sosbud but, for a price, they can Sponsor AND instruct you on process. I recommend them.

5. If you have a VOA it is extendable for another 30 days.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
I had a tourist visa extended for 4X1 months but I take davita's point that this is not really supposed to happen.

Since you HAVE to leave the country when your voa + 30 day extension runs out, you may as well just come back on a sosbud visa. They're easily arranged by any agent.

Phil

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
Based on the information I obtained about the visa I try to summarize the following:

1. VOA 30d, extendable just once for another 30d at any immigration office in Indonesia;
2. Tourist 211 60d visa, issued by embassies outside Indonesia, extendable 1x or 4x (information varies) for another 30d at any immigration office in Indonesia, no sponsor needed for getting the visa itself, but might be required for the extension(s) (information varies);
3. Sosbud 211 60d visa, issued by embassies outside Indonesia, extendable 4x for another 30d, the extension is granted exlusively by the same immigration office for the whole period of time, restricting, in fact, travelling around Indonesia for longer distances, sponsor is required.

Any comments or corrections would be appreciated.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Based on the information I obtained about the visa I try to summarize the following:

1. VOA 30d, extendable just once for another 30d at any immigration office in Indonesia;
2. Tourist 211 60d visa, issued by embassies outside Indonesia, extendable 1x or 4x (information varies) for another 30d at any immigration office in Indonesia, no sponsor needed for getting the visa itself, but might be required for the extension(s) (information varies);
3. Sosbud 211 60d visa, issued by embassies outside Indonesia, extendable 4x for another 30d, the extension is granted exlusively by the same immigration office for the whole period of time, restricting, in fact, travelling around Indonesia for longer distances, sponsor is required.

Any comments or corrections would be appreciated.

1. Correct.

2. Disputable.....Not according to Embassy/Consul guidelines and NOT availed in Jakarta...I tried! Many disagree and have achieved extensions but I don't know how. It makes no sense for the RI Gov't to require a sponsor for a Sosbud and permit the same extensions for a tourist visa without sponsorship.
I think some City's Immigration Officers turn a blind eye to the Law or are influenced and blinded by the beautiful pics on the currency notes.

3. Correct...it only means that the extensions need to be applied in the Immigrasi area of the sponsors residence. It does not preclude travelling, it means careful planning.

Also remember that a Tourist or Sosbud is a one-entry...if leaving RI it is voided and a new visa needs to be applied.

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
2. Disputable.....Not according to Embassy/Consul guidelines and NOT availed in Jakarta...I tried! Many disagree and have achieved extensions but I don't know how. It makes no sense for the RI Gov't to require a sponsor for a Sosbud and permit the same extensions for a tourist visa without sponsorship.
I think some City's Immigration Officers turn a blind eye to the Law or are influenced and blinded by the beautiful pics on the currency notes.

Yes, it is unclear. I have read many posts on this, some saying yes some no. And yes, it has no sense and logic when comparing it to sosbud as the effect is practically the same - but many other legal matters here in Indonesia have no sense or logic so no surprise for me. It is quite typical for poor countries like RI to introduce extremely complicated and unclear legal rules without any real sense or reasons which just support the corruption. I think that all of us prefer to do thinks here legally but sometimes it is not simply possible, many times for the reason that the term "legally" can be interpreted many different ways.

Ad point 3 - Even careful planning does not help if you simply need to stay somewhere longer, travel between the islands (especially in RI) and so on. So the flexibility to extend the visa anywhere (well, where it is possible) counts.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I agree Patrik....Indonesian Immigration Law does not make it easy for anyone to visit. Perhaps that is why a small country like Malaysia makes millions more from legal tourism and longer stay foreigners than Indonesian graft does.

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
Exactly. Malaysia is probably the most developed SAE country and as such has adopted reasonable and hassle free rules (in certain extent similar to SG or HK) to attract foreigners and encourage them to put the money in its economy. RI has built many and many nonsensical obstacles for reasons hard to understand. Foreigners, namely those from high developed countries, just bring the money and give a lot of work to local people so why not to support them...

Last edited:

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
Just out of interest do you know how easy/difficult it would be for an Indonesian citizen to get a one year visa for your country? I know for my country - Australia - it's very difficult and they have to jump through a lot of hoops.

Phil

PatrikB

Jul 28, 2012
Just out of interest do you know how easy/difficult it would be for an Indonesian citizen to get a one year visa for your country? I know for my country - Australia - it's very difficult and they have to jump through a lot of hoops.

Phil

Yes, Phil, I know it, in Europe it is similar and to get a visa for them is difficult. The difference between the benefits from the people coming from Europe, Australia, USA... and those from SE Asia is quite obvious, is it? In addition, if someone from this part of world gets a visa for one year he/she will never return back.In Europe, the immigrants are really big pain there (but to be honest, not those from SEA), but of course in the age of political hypercorrectness there is no official will to do anything with it so the visas remain the only obstacle.