mrsgabry

Sep 8, 2009
Vienna/Nusa Dua
There seems no possibility to dispose of old batteries in Bali in a environmental friendly way. It makes me sick to see that most of them end up in the normal household rubbish. I collect mine and take them back to Austria.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In Canada and USA there is a movement to recycle and clean-up our trash. This has still not permeated the Asian mind....but is slowly resonating.
I know some bule in Bali (uses my pub) was involved in a plastics-recycling program but not sure of his success as I'm 'on the wagon' and don't visit the pub much.

We recycle at our villa (2 separate bins) but I see the garbage hauler throws both bins to his helper on the truck and it all goes into the same location. I then see the helper sifts thro' looking for anything of value....but I doubt if recycling is on his mind.

The N. American system has a monetary attachment and recycling has value.
'Dumpster divers' are well known in Vancouver...we encourage them by separating cans, bottles, batteries, cardboard, tyres etc., prior to the municipality garbage collections....which they return to recycling depots and get paid cash.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Unless there's a grass roots change in the mentality here in Indonesia I think the whole recycling, environmental, sustainability is a total waste of time and energy.

I'm part of the "Trash Hero Candidasa" thing where we go weekly WITH locals to clean up some area of the environment (when I don't have dengue). By involving the locals the idea is to generate awareness.

At the end of some of our collections they were giving out the (hated) small plastic cups of water to all the hard workers that had just spend an hour collecting plastic from the area.

Like to guess what most of the locals did with the empty water containers?

Yep, chucked them on the ground and walked off!

Fecking hopeless!

In my experience the locals use the opportunity to try and get jobs with the participating expats and could not care less about the plastic trash.

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
I always see mostly old people going through the bins looking for old plastic bottles,but i don't think the pay is too good..We're lucky here,the javanese on Jl.Taman Pancing can just throw their plastic bags of rubbish directly into the river,saves an unsightly mess on their own doorstep...hehe......At least lately on TV there is a new campaign called ''berubah Indonesia'' (i think) trying to get people to clean up their act

hadodi

Nov 8, 2013
NE Bali
It is really notworth to think about recycling here in Bali or Indonesia. They either are to stupid or too lazy to think about there nature they destroy systematically. If somebody does not want to learn why force them? It is a ticking bomb and they will get what they deserve. Sorry, to say this, but it is a matter of fact

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well, the reason to "force them" is because we choose to live here too and are presented with the results of non-participation on a daily basis. It just gets sort of sad.

Oh have to go to the Trash Hero gathering in an hour. Thanks for the reminder.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Well, the reason to "force them" is because we choose to live here too and are presented with the results of non-participation on a daily basis. It just gets sort of sad.

Oh have to go to the Trash Hero gathering in an hour. Thanks for the reminder.

Just a thought but couldn't you be accused of taking jobs from the locals if you are doing this?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If I walk down the beach picking up trash and putting it in a bag for free I'm hardly likely to be taking a non-paying job from anyone. But in modern Indonesia, who knows?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I've read somewhere that even volunteering in Indonesia needs a work permit....:devilish: