What to bring to Bali?

Sebi

Sep 21, 2017
Hi guys,

We're moving to Bali at the end of November and are just wondering what would make sense to purchase prior we fly out from Melbourne.
What are items which are cheaper or easier to get in Australia?
Items I could imagine: Small electronics like iPhone, Fashion, Nike Shoes, blender/juicer, ???

Hope you can give us some ideas on what you miss to have easily accessible, so we can fill our 40kg of luggage with some more useful things.

Cheers,
Sebi

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome Sebi, my advice is not to bring much. Of course, you already have a smartphone so will bring it, but he prices here are about the same although there is a wider range of budget models. Similarly for electrical gadgets, son't bring much because maybe you won't use them and when you do really need things they are readily available here.. Others may offer different advice - I will watch with interest.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi Sebi and welcome
I agree with Ronb......gadgets, clothing, shoes, household items...forget them.
When we return from Canada we tend to stuff suitcases with things from economy bulk stores like cartons of vitamins, throw-away razors and big packets of cheese and paté...

Sebi

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks @ronb and @davita, much appreciate your quick reply.

Looks like we worried to much about these things and should rather take some of the "simple" things we enjoy.

Cheese is definitely a good point, recognized it during our last visits. Probably cosmetics and other care items like razors/shaving cream might be worth if one prefers a special brand.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Thanks @ronb and @davita, much appreciate your quick reply.

Looks like we worried to much about these things and should rather take some of the "simple" things we enjoy.

Cheese is definitely a good point, recognized it during our last visits. Probably cosmetics and other care items like razors/shaving cream might be worth if one prefers a special brand.
In the way of shave cream I bring Edge shaving gel because the Gillette gel available here is a lousy substitute. Otherwise there is only shave lather.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Most stuff you can get here nowadays. Some things which people mention on other forums are dental floss and vitamins. Also if you take any meds you need to find out if a substitute is available here or you need to bring enough supply.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A good size jar of Vegemite. You can get it here but not so easy to find.

Harryopal has good advice...This is all I saw in Grand Lucky on Jl. Sunset today....and Grand Lucky is a superstore with just about every produce ever made.

20171023_125616.jpg

harryopal

May 5, 2016
After the Australian iconic vegemite was taken over by a US company quite some while ago they began fiddling with the product with an awful result. They also tried to market a new offering in Australia but it didn't really catch on. I don't recall seeing "Cheesy Bite" on Australian shelves but I guess they figure they should try new markets. At least the standard Vegemite is still as it was.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
If you like to cook a quality set of German or Japanese knives would not be a bad addition to your luggage.

Faris Fals

May 7, 2017
Kitchen Tools is a good one, I agree..

and get this thing, I think in english it is called tweezer?
To find one that really works took me waay too long...

the thing that you use to pull out a splinter

The one I found doesn't make me happy either.. no fun,
it doesn't have a good grip..
Bring high quality products if they are small enough!! Save time! Enjoy life on Bali
don't spend your days searching for stuff like this

That's all I can say
if you have some thing or tool and you really use it often and you like how it works
just bring it if it is not too big. You will save time and live more comfortably :)

Sebi

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I'm not Aussie and never understood how someone can eat Vegemite, so don't need to take it with me. If someone wants some just let me know and I can make some space in my 40kg luggage ;)

Yeah, probably concentrate on some small kitchen tools, dental floss, shaving creme + razors.

Will see how it goes and if I miss something, Family is visiting soon after so they can help me out.

Looking forward being on the Island of Gods in less than a month.

Cheers

Faris Fals

May 7, 2017
Oh yes, I really miss my working shoes (for gardening and working in the garage and stuff)
I could really really use them now because all I have is leather/sports shoes and flip-flops,
nothing to go into the wild or work myself through the bushes in front of our house.
I want to make some sort of chill out sit outside and have a tea area,
so I can enjoy a breeze if I am bored to sit inside or in the garden..

just a suggestion, you never know the situation if you are still looking for a place to stay
haha could be only me but I prefer thick shoes if I meet snakes, skorpions, spiders, or just spikes of any sort,,
but I'm not from Australia, where I come from there are practically no poisonous animals so I might be overreacting..

Oh yes if you are tall and your shoe size is over 44 you might be wise to bring shoes..
In 6 years I came across one pair of shoes for me on Bali (size 48)
my flip-flops are from New Zealand and my Sandals are from Singapore.. My Sports shoes are from Germany..
Most of the shops will have the limit size 44 or even less