BonditoBali

Sep 7, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am planning our move to Bali and wondering how typical it is for expats to employ locals to work for them. If so, how many?

We are a family of 4 (2 adults , 2 young kids - not at school yet). I'm curious about what is typical for expat families. The sort of staff I am thinking of includes a nanny/house keeper/cleaner/pembantu/ gardner/ driver/security or something else? How many staff is normal?

Wife and I have flexible jobs, and work from home, so we'd be around to look after the kids. However, as the cost of staff is so affordable, I think we'd like a full time nanny (perhaps to do some light cleaning too?). Maybe a cleaner to come once/twice a week to do a good clean. Maybe a gardener/pool guy a few times a week to keep everything under control? We don't think we'll need a driver (we have both lived/driven/scooted in developing countries before).
Security - maybe full time at night? Is it necessary?

So, what do you think? How many staff is normal? Are our expectations realistic?

Thanks for your help!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Don't have any, you can't trust them.

Gurkha does the term "parody" mean anything to you?

Staff are great and one of the many pleasures of living in Bali. In my personal experience their quality seems to increase in relationship to how far you move away from the south of the island.

It would seem the more experience the locals have with people like oh, say, Gurkha, the worse they get.

I'm sure there are many exceptions.

My staff (3-4) are honest, extremely hard working, happy, thrifty and loads of fun. Having said that don't mistake them for members of your family or you will regret it. If you fire one you will probably regret it...eventually. It's a small world and they won't forget getting fired, ever.

Don't pay over the odds for your area otherwise the Bule will descend on you like a ton of shite. If you want to pay more, then make it in kind, ie. get them medical insurance, give them all-u-can-eat rice at work, in short look after them and they will look after you. Don't even think to use Western work standards on them -they will have un-anounced days off for ceremonies but will also work without much notice until 11 at night if you need them. It's all give and take.

Sorry this is probably more than you wanted to know but in your situation I would have a pembantu to start off with and if you are happy with her get her recommendation for a baby sitter or pool cleaner from her extended family. Take it slowly and don't think you can just land and within the next week have 4 or 5 new staff that will work out - recipe for disaster.

Markit

BonditoBali

Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for the tips guys. I think we will take on some staff, but as suggested, will do it slowly. It would make our life easier, and providing employment for some locals must be beneficial.

We make do with no help in Sydney, so I am confident we can survive without help for a while, at least until we settle in. I have seen a few agencies that offer temp babysitting/nannies if we start going crazy.

Markit, thanks for the advice we other ways of paying a bit extra to good staff. I am sure they would appreciate if I helped them out, but it seems that extra cash is not the way to do it (without creating a bunch of other issues!).

Sherm, even with my limited indonesian (i.e. basically none!) I was able to understand your tip. Thanks! I'll steer clear of that!