spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It sometimes makes me wonder despite Bali getting nothing but negative press, it seems to have no affect on the people who want to move to Bali to live. There seems to be daily reports of crime, pollution, rising costs etc etc, but look on any forum you see post after post asking about what visa to get to live in Bali.

Personally I love living here and can live with the negatives. But it does make me wonder what the attraction is for new comers.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
A lot of Bali's appeal is an illusion. Many that come are escapists whom we have all seen. It is not so much that they are coming to something but from something, and they are not all realistic about themselves nor their expectations. If some think this cynical I don't mean to be. All of us like yourself that are satisfied here in honesty weigh things from time to time and to be realistic understand that there are fragile areas that are in a state of constant change. What we find most appealing today may not always exist as things continue to evolve.

BaliDreamForHoads

Feb 23, 2015
I don't want to live in Bali forever, but I would love a foreign adventure with my young family - something more than a holiday. And somewhere picturesque and tropical with a wonderful approach to life and an excellent climate. Somewhere creative and for the most part friendly, somewhere with culture. Bali ticks all the boxes for me and it's not too far to travel with a toddler and young child from Australia. A year or two in Bali would suit my family very well.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I don't want to live in Bali forever, but I would love a foreign adventure with my young family - something more than a holiday. And somewhere picturesque and tropical with a wonderful approach to life and an excellent climate. Somewhere creative and for the most part friendly, somewhere with culture. Bali ticks all the boxes for me and it's not too far to travel with a toddler and young child from Australia. A year or two in Bali would suit my family very well.

Indonesia/Bali does not welcome foreigners...witness their visa issues and other unnecessary restrictions for foreigners.

Malaysia does...under its MM2H program. It has the same climate as Indonesia. English is more widely spoken. The education system is more similar to Australia/UK. It is picturesque and tropical. It has a similar culture to RI and is reasonably friendly. If you have a profession they even allow some work so long as it inspires Malaysians and doesn't take their jobs.
Panama, Ecuador and Costa Rica also have similar schemes to welcome foreigners to live in those countries as retirees...and many do very successfully. But probably not so conducive for a young family.
For the life of me I cannot see why anyone with a young family would wish to come to live in Bali. I've witnessed some Australian kids here and, excuse me, they behave like spoiled brats.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Indonesia/Bali does not welcome foreigners...witness their visa issues and other unnecessary restrictions for foreigners, even those marrried to WNI, to live in RI.

What visa issues ? can you explain more please

davita

Mar 13, 2012
What visa issues ? can you explain more please

Thanks for the enlightenment smoke...I've edited out of my previous post as it is irrelevant to 'balidreamforhoads' post. I assume his spouse isn't WNI.
With your vast knowledge of the system maybe you can advise BDFH what visa his family can apply so he can live for a couple of years in Bali.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I still would like to know the unnecessary restrictions for foreigners, even those marrried to WNI,

maybe you can enlighten me since none come to my mind ?

Thanks

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Smoke....If BDFH needs help for a visa to come to Bali for a couple of years I'll refer him to you as "no restrictions come to mind". I'm sure he'll be comforted.

Edit:
Apologies to BDFH as I note on another thread she is female.
I'm surprised that the best advice Smoke gives is 'see an agent'...I would have thought he had all the back-door means to enable a long-term visa to stay in Bali for 2-3 years.
However, I cannot think of any other way myself. A kitas generally needs to have an Indonesian Spouse sponsor...or an employer....or are over 55 and apply for a Retirement Kitas visa.
Another way is to get a 60 day tourist visa from the RI Embassy/Consul nearest where you live. Officially they only last 60 days but, in Bali, some have been extended every month up to complete six months, then leave the country...to return with another visa.
Most major banks will not open an account without a Kitas but some will. If you have a good relationship with an Australian bank (Commonwealth) try to set-up from home an introduction to when arriving in Bali.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
davita you stated unnecessary restrictions for foreigners, even those marrried to WNI, then you said it not apply to him.

but it applies to alot of Balipod members that are married to a WNI ?

so what are the unnecessary restrictions for those married to a WNI ?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
davita you stated unnecessary restrictions for foreigners, even those marrried to WNI, then you said it not apply to him.

but it applies to alot of Balipod members that are married to a WNI ?

so what are the unnecessary restrictions for those married to a WNI ?

Can't you read...I edited that part out as it was irrelevant...go find someone else to argue with!

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
davida i think you should explain it for the many balipod members and google searchers that are married to WNI's

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I whole-heartedly agree with Spicy that it's a wonderful place to live. Problem is that in the 7 years that I've been here the number of people that I've seen fall by the wayside is quite sobering.

Of the many reasons that they have failed I do think the most usual is undue optimism (please note BaliDreamForHoads).

People ignore the difficulties that they can plainly see and hope that it will be "alright on the night".

I just wonder what wonderful memories they will have of the cute dose of hemorrhagic dengue fever the 2 year old had in Sangla hospital or the time Dad got caught piping the pembantu?

Just recently I sat around a table with 5 other adult, grown up people that had had success and money in their lives prior to coming to Bali who all thought that that would be enough to see them through - it most surely wasn't:

1 was terrified her nominee was going to throw her out of her/his house, another pair were terrified that immi was going to throw them out of the country and had no success at making a life here anyway, and of the other couple one was Ozzy and the woman Indo with hardly a common language other than jiggy-jig whose original partner had suddenly decided she wanted to be lesbian after the house she paid to be built was 90% finished and had thrown him out.

Also none of these people had had any prior experience of living (not visiting, living for years!) for any length of time in a foreign country.

All quite entertaining to watch from distance but not very humorous.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
No one is trying to "put you off" but these are the things most of us that live here have run into, not once, but time and again.

Please stay with the forum and we will do everything (advise-wise) that we can to help you succeed. I would not be right to paint a rosy picture about how easy and fun it is living in a 3rd world country, and don't doubt that it does have many benefits, but there are also many pitfalls to be aware of and this forum is the best way I've found to navigate your way around them.

What I neglected to add above is that those that have succeeded here on Bali have done so because they looked for assistance and good advise where ever they could find it and equally those that haven't done well here thought they knew it all from day one.

BWDIK?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
wow - so encouraging. I hate to say it davita but you have not put me off. If malaysia is so good why aren't you there.

My Indonesian wife and I both immigrated to Vancouver in 1990 where she became a Canadian and consequently lost her RI citizenship...in 1990 it didn't seem to matter. Meanwhile, we obtained the MM2H visa thinking we could live in Penang and maybe commute to see her family easily. This plan didn't materialize and staying in Indonesia on a Sosbud proved to be a pain getting the visas extended every month, especially as we didn't live where the sponsor lived. So I applied for an expensive Retirement Kitas and sponsored my Indonesian-born wife as she was under age......ironical, Huh!

I didn't say Malaysia was 'so good'...I said the 10 year MM2H plan that Malaysia has was more welcoming than Indonesia's No-Plan. You wrote a laundry list of requirements and all I did was note the same can be had in Malaysia, and easier to get, as they have a scheme for that purpose.
The downside is, depending on age, a considerable Fixed Deposit in MYR has to be 'liened' to the scheme. Also, I only researched Penang and accommodation there is generally apartment-style which may not suit some with smaller children...Bali has plenty of suitable villas.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
davida i think you should explain it for the many balipod members and google searchers that are married to WNI's

A while ago there was a mentioning that if your husband/wife is WNI, you can work (self-employed) without IMTA to provide for your family. Is anyone on Balipod (married with WNI) working without IMTA?

Also, not related to married with WNI, it seems as if work visas will be shortened from 1 year to 6 months for some TKA. Hope not.

Edit;
WNI = Warga Negara Indonesia (Indonesian Nationals)
TKA = Tenaga Kerja Asing (foreign worker)
IMTA = Ijin Mempekerjakan Tenega kerja Asing (work permit)

Last edited:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
G

Gurkha

I still would like to know the unnecessary restrictions for foreigners, even those marrried to WNI,

maybe you can enlighten me since none come to my mind ?

Thanks
Just try running your own business here! - its not so much restrictions as "moving the goalposts". Rules / regulations that are made up on the spur of the moment and which do not exist in other parts of Indonesia.