Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Health is a problem sweet dreams and one I have not got around to solving. I suppose I can always run back to the UK unless it becomes so urgent and life threatning. Enquiries I have made on health insurnace are about 4-5000 dollars per year and then some.

No garantee that medical services will be good enough but at least you can get evacuated. Just have to hope I will never need it :icon_sad:

leandra

Feb 16, 2010
paradise

lies in the eye of the beyonder....
i think as long as bali can offer you something which is worth to stay here for, its paradise ....

and why not having more than one paradise in live...:icon_mrgreen:

so long..

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know if Bali is a paradise, but I like it here. Certainly there are problems, but I think anyone who does there research properly before deciding to come here to live would or should be aware of them. There are many books and articles describing Bali as paradise so maybe that is where it comes from. Often those articles are promoting some kind of travel related business. There are also plenty of news and stories written about the problems Bali is facing, which I think there is definitely a higher awareness of things like pollution, traffic, water etc.

supaloopa

Apr 17, 2010
bali and paradise

Hi there I'm considering moving to Bali, i'm living actually in a place where you'd come for your honeymoon or for a romantic week end : Paris. Believe me, "Paradise" is where your heart is. I hated Paris since I was "forced" to move here (20 years ago) but sometimes in the summer when I walk by at night the streets close to "notre dame", it's totally amazing, the lights and monuments become a "movie set" ... For Bali I feel the same way, I guess it's a game of "give and take", there's no such thing as paradise. The perspective "Blondie" is talking about needs to be challenged, you can call a place "paradise" because it suits you 99%, but its probably more accurate to say, Bali is a "paradise" compared to a lot of other places. you are talking about "people who smiles" but want to take advantage of you : welcome to earth my friend ;-) what you describe is a human behaviour that is differently disguised where you come from and as i always say : I prefer a fake smile than a sour face.
I've been almost everywhere in this world and I can tell you : people can be really aggressive, greedy, selfish; ignorant, dirty etc... the question is : at some point, don't you ?
I got a french friend in California and he gave me his trick not to regret his moving to LA, when he is pissed off about anything, he simply remembers when he was in the rainy and ugly parisian subburb. For me, Bali seems to be a really nice place to chill out for a couple of years or more and then get back to "business" lol cheers

Last edited:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
If you have the right visa, tax certificate etc :icon_biggrin: I remember many years ago in Merauke having to evacuate some one ill to Darwin. The plain landed at the airport from Oz, the passenger loaded on, minimal formalities and it took off again.

Let us hope it would be that smooth again.....but I doubt it.:icon_cry:

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Hi MadCat

You know you are right... he should have seen it coming. Its hardly a new thing here

I met his wife and while I watched him adore her, she was a hard faced thing who's smile never ever made it to her eyes and I wondered what he saw in her that I didnt and a year before it happend I knew it would. (people said I was being hard and horrible and pessimistic... cant say bad stuff you know) but it did happen and worse than Id imagined.

But he genuinely loved her and he was a smart guy... but obviously..... in some areas....not so much :icon_rolleyes:

N

Same story goes for the millions of guys living in western countries that work bloody hard all their lives while their wives spend all day at the hairdresser or sitting around gibbering at cafes until they get "bored" and decide to "leave" with the house and a massive payout for all the pain they've been through all those years of hardship being married. But he genuinely loved her and he was a smart guy... but obviously..... in some areas....not so much :icon_rolleyes: Hardly a new thing here. LMFAO. It's hardly a new thing anywhere darling.

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Blondie

But he genuinely loved her and he was a smart guy... but obviously..... in some areas....not so much :icon_rolleyes: Hardly a new thing here

N

Same story goes for the millions of guys living in western countries that work bloody hard all their lives while their wives spend all day at the hairdresser or sitting around gibbering at cafes until they get "bored" and decide to "leave" with the house and a massive payout for all the pain they've been through all those years of hardship being married.

"But he genuinely loved her and he was a smart guy... but obviously..... in some areas....not so much :icon_rolleyes: Hardly a new thing here."

LMFAO. It's hardly a new thing anywhere darling.

I must have been out of the loop on that little scam.

I was married 15 years and I earned way more than him so it turned out that I paid him out and got a very short end of the financial stick when I ended the marriage. (no nail salons and cafes for me either.... career all the way) I did fine, but he did very very well. It goes both ways in Western countries... unlike here

Oh and unlike the situation I was referring to, there were no death threats either

The way its done here is totally unique and they come up with new things all the time. Doesn't make me feel like laughing my arse off at all

Sounds like you had a rough experience there darling and I do sympathise.

Regards
N

Last edited:

Chewwyuk

Apr 20, 2010
Interesting

Interesting thread to read. I have only lived in Bali for a few months, having previously been based in Jakarta. I don't think anywhere in the world can be described as a paradise as reality always gets in the way. I read with interest the long term Bali expats saying that Bali sucks these days. I am not sure it's just Bali, you will probably find the same all over the world. I think how you perceive Bali depends on your reasons for living here. I travel a lot with my work and so get away often enough not to let the small things get to me. I would probably have a very different opinion if I was "stuck" on the island.

At the start of my "expat days" a very wise man told me that everybody working overseas goes through the same stages. First you fall in love with the place you live, then you start to hate it before accepting it.

Remember we are just guests in this country. It's pointless worrying about the good and bad stuff too much. You just got to live you life.

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
I travel a lot with my work and so get away often enough not to let the small things get to me. I would probably have a very different opinion if I was "stuck" on the island.

I think you make a very good point.

Life is so much about perspective, and being in and out of Bali gives you more than one clear perspective, and it gives balance.

I think that those who have the come and go, dual residency, whether its retirement with 6 months at home and 6 months here, or a monthly oil rig rotation, are the ones who possibly will enjoy Bali the most.

Being here full time long term is not my cup of tea, but that's just me

I'm "stuck" waiting for the lease on my house to sell, and the being stuck has turned minor irritations to a feeling of imprisonment. I'm someone who does things in an impulsive, but well thought out way. I decide, I plan and I do.... no messing around.

Right now I'm chained....Ive decided, Ive planned but I cant do. That doesn't work well for me, and due to that fact, things that I previously ignored about Bali are unignorable to me and really, really irritating and demoralising.

They were always there, and probably always will be, but I was able to gloss over them to a degree.

I have lost that ability

Regards
N

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Blondie

But he genuinely loved her and he was a smart guy... but obviously..... in some areas....not so much :icon_rolleyes: Hardly a new thing here

N

I must have been out of the loop on that little scam.

I was married 15 years and I earned way more than him so it turned out that I paid him out and got a very short end of the financial stick when I ended the marriage. (no nail salons and cafes for me either.... career all the way) I did fine, but he did very very well. It goes both ways in Western countries... unlike here

Oh and unlike the situation I was referring to, there were no death threats either

The way its done here is totally unique and they come up with new things all the time. Doesn't make me feel like laughing my arse off at all

Sounds like you had a rough experience there darling and I do sympathise.

Regards
N

I've never been married so no need to sympathise.

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
I've never been married so no need to sympathise.

Oh sorry darling... your statements about western marriages, lazy wives and bitter divorces where the man loses everything, just sounded so bitter I assumed it was from first hand experience

Regards
N

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
Oh sorry darling... your statements about western marriages, lazy wives and bitter divorces where the man loses everything, just sounded so bitter I assumed it was from first hand experience

Regards
N

No problems sweetheart. Apologies accepted.

Now back to the topic. are you going to go into any detail about why you consider Bali not to be a paradise?

Most grounded, sane people already realise that paradise is just a mater of perception, but I'm interested in hearing how you got sucked in to believing in that fairytale and why you're so bitter about it. I guess Magic didn't happen for you princess.:icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
No problems sweetheart. Apologies accepted.

Now back to the topic. are you going to go into any detail about why you consider Bali not to be a paradise?

Most grounded, sane people already realise that paradise is just a mater of perception, but I'm interested in hearing how you got sucked in to believing in that fairytale and why you're so bitter about it. I guess Magic didn't happen for you princess.:icon_rolleyes:

Problem for me is I never bought into the fairy tale.... its actually all my fault tht Im here and not happy to be.

And I never ever called this place Paradise... (in fact, your statement that Bali or anyplace is just a matter of perception is exactly what I wrote in this thread about 6 hours ago, so scroll back a bit, in fact try reading the whole thread.... its very enlightening from all contributors) If you read from the beginning of the thread, I was responding to someone else who asked the "paradise" question and my reasons for my choosing the "not paradise" side, are there in great detail (too much detail actually but I was a bit fired up at the time)

Most people who live here, came for holidays for years first. I never came here for holidays ever... I wasn't interested in Bali or Fiji or any place "Resorty"... I wanted places further afield... more challenging, grass roots, and different, and I'm very interested in ancient history and archaeology( I love South America, and Central America and the Mediterranean)....

I came to Bali for my business.... I mean I'd lived all over, so why not? ......first mistake

It was one of my spontaneous decisions, and the lesson Ive learned is don't make a life decision based solely on a business one

Never move to a place that you never ever liked in the first place, just because it works on a business level

So I started off not liking it (opposite to most people)... pushed myself into seeing the good side, but for me, struggled all along as it never appealed from day one. (And it s not like I dont like things and places that are different, I lived in Peru and Guatemala for a year each... much more grass roots than Bali and I loved both places... in fact I've lived in around 6 countries long term ish... and Indonesia is the only place I really dont like and wont ever visit after I leave.... go figure huh?)

Made some friends and worked really hard to "be here" and get "into it"

For a while I fooled myself that it was OK and I thought by getting a long term property and "nesting" it would help

It didn't, and pretty much as soon as the house was finished and I'd moved in, I started making concrete plans to leave for good.

Everything's in place..... but the house isn't sold and I don't want to rent it short term (ie 1 year at a time) and micromanage from another country

When I'm gone... it's for good

For more of my reasons for not being happy here, just go to my profile and read previous posts (there's a lot of positive stuff there too :icon_wink:) or better still, read this thread from the beginning. This thread alone says it all and I dont have the energy or inclination to write them again. Theyre all true but hardly fun to repeat.

I didn't necessarily want to put them there in the first place, but a few people wanted me to justify my dislike of Bali, which I don't get at all. If you have to justify yourself to someone they aren't worth the explanation. Someone genuinely interested in you in a friendly way isn't asking for justification of what you think... they just want to know what you think, and with me.... its hardly a secret is it?

I don't ask anyone to explain their opinion of the place good or bad, I respect that their opinion is theirs as long as they don't try to make their opinion .... my opinion. Opinions are personal and often unexplainable like tastebuds... you either like spinach or you don't... who knows why?

Me? Personally? ... not so much

Regards
N

jokko

Jan 20, 2010
dear blondie

i really feel sorry for you+ the situation you are in now...stuck in bali , and i hope you will sell yr house quick. i lived in bali for three years and still miss it every day , although a lot of bad things happened to me when i was there, have been drugged in a bar , socalled friends who tried to take my money with dirty sceams .....lying people , jealousy, allmost got killed by some preman , people who did voodoo me....but still i miss it every day . When i wrote: bali love it or leave it , it wasnt meant as an attack against you. I just wanted to say that if you dont like the life in bali , get out.... the reason you must stay there now is a financial one , i completely understand.

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
i really feel sorry for you+ the situation you are in now...stuck in bali , and i hope you will sell yr house quick. i lived in bali for three years and still miss it every day , although a lot of bad things happened to me when i was there, have been drugged in a bar , socalled friends who tried to take my money with dirty sceams .....lying people , jealousy, allmost got killed by some preman , people who did voodoo me....but still i miss it every day . When i wrote: bali love it or leave it , it wasnt meant as an attack against you. I just wanted to say that if you dont like the life in bali , get out.... the reason you must stay there now is a financial one , i completely understand.

Thanks Jokko for your kind words

and sorry I pounced on you

I felt a bit cornered and I'm not happy, and the combination can get my claws out (phfft! phfff! phfft!)

Ive been told I'm a feisty thing sometimes

Im sooo trying to get out, and trying to be patient while its not happening, but its hard and a bit dispiriting. I'm always a glass half full girl... but these days its wavering

Thanks for talking

N
x

PS I got drugged in a bar too, but I tasted it and spat back into the glass... but the girl I was with, was dancing and half way through her drink before I warned her and I got her out of there only to have her go totally unconscious and fall flat on her face in the car park area. She was a mess. Her face hit a rock.... horrible. Imagine if it had happened when we were still inside with who ever did it... just waiting

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
I went to send my little imput and @xz# it said I was not logged in. Oh well, anyway it now is 3:39am here and I'm tired. But gotta say, I knew I liked you blondie; and after reading your last post I know why. I too have always loved ancient history and archeology! I sent you a private message with my email address to send me the info I am needing. Thank you so much! I only hope you sell your house soon. If you mediate try to release your feelings of confinement and feeling stuck. I realize it is very difficult when one feels all the emotions which you are currently experiencing; yet if you let go and say to yourself, "Everything is falling into place, and the right person will appear soon to rent out my place, that will allow the universe to help you more swiftly." What kind of business do you have in Bali? Where is your house? Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi there I'm considering moving to Bali, i'm living actually in a place where you'd come for your honeymoon or for a romantic week end : Paris. Believe me, "Paradise" is where your heart is. I hated Paris since I was "forced" to move here (20 years ago) but sometimes in the summer when I walk by at night the streets close to "notre dame", it's totally amazing, the lights and monuments become a "movie set" ...

WOW! 20 years "forced" to live in Paris:icon_exclaim: My heart bleeds for you...Were you kidnapped?:icon_rolleyes:

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
WOW! 20 years "forced" to live in Paris:icon_exclaim: My heart bleeds for you...Were you kidnapped?:icon_rolleyes:

He may have been 12 years old and his parents moved there.... wouldn't that qualify to a child as a perception of being forced??

There are many reasons he may have had no choice and being a minor would certainly justify that perspective if he didn't want to move

Soooo sarcastic! :icon_e_geek:

Kura Kura

Feb 26, 2010
So how does Guatemala or Peru qualify as being more grass roots than Bali? LMFAO. Maybe if you got out of Seminyak you'd realise what you're saying is nothing short of a joke. How would you know they're much more "grass roots" when you only spent a year there anyway. I've been to peru and was robbed at gunpoint - That's about as grassroots as it gets I suppose.