Nov 29, 2011
bali
We are moving to Bali shortly to open a new small 6 villa resort. We are coming from the u.k. and although we are bringing only a handful of personal items with us, we still need them shipped. As we are doing that, is there anything we should bring with us for ourselves or our resort ie. items that are either impossible, expensive or that are just not good quality in Bali?

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Patience and a sense of humour are two very important things to bring along with you. You will need both in abundance if you are looking at operating a business here.
Most things are available in Bali. The people who stay in your villas will become your friends. Many of them will become return customers, these people will happily bring you things such as cheese, salami and the small everyday items that you yearn.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
For the check-through luggage

no.idea has the right idea (couldn't resist).

When I'm back in the UK I always return with at least 10k cheese - nothing fancy just big solid blocks of cheddar, Gloucestershire, Lestershire - whatever is on sale in Tesco's on the day before departure - the more matured & flavour intense the better (you use less that way & lasts longer) cheese sweats in the heat so return to the fridge immediately after use, freezes well though for long term storage, but tends to crumble :icon_e_sad:

Salami &/or black pudding also manage to find a little gap between the socks

Save them all for those "Oh god I really fancy... ------ .....!" moments & don't wolf them down in the 1st month!

Oh, yes, I hear you say "I was never a great fan of cheese" - but we all say that in the beginning, believe me you will find yourself driving 2 hours through insane traffic just for a decent welsh rarebit, croque monseur - or even cheese toastie!
A cheese slicer would also be useful

You may have gathered it is a bit of a fetish!

Nov 29, 2011
bali
We thought we were the only sado's in the world, apparently not! We spent last year in Italy with no expat community and therefore no chedder cheese!
Can you imagine how aweful that was?!

We have all the food stuffs at the top of the list, anything else? Someone said good sheets and towels, which surprised us, but that sort of thing.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If you like reading I would suggest getting an e-reader like a Kindle. The selection at bookstores here is very limited and you can't buy Kindles here. Plenty of towels, sheets for sale here--not sure why someone would suggest that.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
There was a thread last year some time, asking the same questions. Maybe an idea to go and have a search for it, there were plenty of great ideas listed there. Oh, also I have heard that an e-reader is better than a kindle as it is not "locked" to amazon, who dont sent to Indonesia. Good luck and welcome to Bali :icon_biggrin:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
scout said:
There was a thread last year some time, asking the same questions. Maybe an idea to go and have a search for it, there were plenty of great ideas listed there....

This is the thread "freetofly" posted last year. Some good suggestions in there.

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
If you're a serious cook i would suggest good quality pots and pans - very hard to get here! Sheets only if you're one of those thread-count snobs. And from the conversation I had to endure the other morning between my wife and several of her female friends: tampons! Apparently the ones you buy here are rubbish.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
If you're a serious cook i would suggest good quality pots and pans - very hard to get here!

I agree with phil about bringing good quality pots and pans but if you’re already in Bali and wishing you could find good pots you can find the excellent Demeyere brand in Ace Hardware at the Mall. As you go in the front entrance they are in that nook to the right where the knives are. I have a couple of their pots and wouldn’t trade them for any other.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Some very high quality kitchen utensils can be found at Batraco near Bali Bakery in Kuta including pots and pans. Definitely no need to travel with these.

Batraco is in Kuta, Jalan Mertanadi, between Bali Bakery and the Dong Dong Japanese restaurant.

http://g.co/maps/6z2ax (Google link to Dong Dong)

Last edited:

Rambutmerah

Jul 30, 2006
Quality kitchen utensils

Next to Gosyen Hotel on Jalan Devi Sri is a great shop for buying quality kitchen utensils. Can't for my life remember the name but it's very easy to find.

Rambutmerah

Jul 30, 2006
Pantry Magic

Yes, that's right Matsaleh. Pantry Magic is the name, just checked with a friend in Denpasar.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Kitchen utensils, good quality oliv oil and good quality dishwasher! I am here in Bali from Nov until April ... and i miss dishwasher that make the life after cooking easier :)

We don't have full time help and I would really miss not having a dishwasher. We bought ours at DeHome. I think they are in Denpasar. Getting the detergent used to be a problem for me. I had to go south to Ace Hardware but now it is available at Ubud Deli.

I don't know where you are located but the Ubud Delta Dewata has a good selection of EV olive oils and so does Hardy's in Sanur.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Dishwashers

We have a 3-in-one dishwasher, her name is Hamida, she's from Yogyakarta comes with added functionality such as cooking (some) cleaning (sort of).
Couldn't resist that one ;)

On a more serious note... while the idea of having 'help' might at first appear to be some neo-colonial throwback, paying someone to do a respectable job of work does put money back into the economy in places where it needs to go.

Ramona_

Jan 20, 2012
Canggu Asri
f you use an electric toothbrush, bring some new brushes (the ones you need to replace every few months)...

Also, i can't seem to find decent chocolate :(

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
f you use an electric toothbrush, bring some new brushes (the ones you need to replace every few months)...

Also, i can't seem to find decent chocolate :(

I thought I read Green School built a Chocolate processing building?