What are the Hindu Banks in Bali?

Monger SEA

Nov 4, 2017
I need a local bank account for my business. However, most of the banks I see around are Moslem Indonesian banks (BNI, Mandiri, etc).

I don't wish to give Moslem businesses a single cent, and I have a policy of systematically supporting local businesses, so could you please direct me as to what are the Hindu-owned banks in Bali?

Thanks,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
BPD is a local hindu bank, government owned so it's safe

I don't think PT BPD Bali is 'government owned' as it is a PT (Perseroan Terbatus).....which means it has a Limited Liability with a paid-up Capital.

Any BPD (Bank Pembangunan Daerah) means it's licensed, by the gov't, to operate as a Regional Development and Commercial Bank.

PT BPD Bali has been around for over 50 years....so probably very safe.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Like Mark said,,,are you for real,,, you wont give a dime to a muslim bank yet you have no problem being in the highest populated muslim country in the world,

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
Bank Lestari is not hindu but it is a good bank and if I am not wrong is local, although I am not totally sure about this

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
BPR Lestari had been balinese owned but now the new owner is a Jakarta based Indo-Chinese named Alex

Monger SEA

Nov 4, 2017
Like Mark said,,,are you for real,,, you wont give a dime to a muslim bank yet you have no problem being in the highest populated muslim country in the world,

I won't go into politics here (I guess it's against the forum's rules?) but "Indonesia" is just an artificial construct inherited from the Dutch East Indies colonies. So I don't consider myself as being in a "moslem country".

If you and me are living here in Bali and not in Aceh, it all has to do with the local culture, right? So it only makes sense that we support the locals as much as we can, and not with those who are destroying it.

BTW, check this out: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hinduism_in_Southeast_Asia . The Moslem thing is just a recent addition in history of Southeast Asia.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
So I don't consider myself as being in a "moslem country"

Well you are. Ignorant to see it otherwise. Indeed you are in the country with the most muslim people in the world!
I'm hindu myself (same as wife & kids) but the moderate (!) Islam in Indonesia is a success story and expanding on Bali too.
We could talk ages about bahasa indonesia and its influences (actually muslim traders had a big impact) and whether it's a "real" language or Indonesia a "real" state with all its religions, culture and languages. But this will get us nowhere. Indonesia is far from being perfect. There's plenty of things to do. And they will be done eventually. But Islam will play a major role during these indonesian improvement activities.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
To add to sakumabali's comments, Balinese Hindus are very tolerant of other religions, including Islam. Intolerance of other faiths and belief systems is inconsistent and not in harmony with the spirit of Bali and the values of the vast majority who live here.

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
To me the part of supporting local business makes a lot sense, I think Bali is taking over tremendously day by day and very quick by people from outside of Bali, most of them from Jakarta and Java and a lot foreigners, have a look of all the shops and restaurants in Ubud, the "local" part in all the sense of the word is missing from shops and restaurants, fancy clothes, fancy products, fancy food.......

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Bali is just one of the 34 Provinces of the Republic of Indonesia and has no special status. Any Indonesian can open a trade in Bali and any Balinese can do similar in any other Province.
Employees from different parts of the Republic, who have a KTP in their home area, need to get a Kipem if they wish to live/work in another area.

Investment from foreign sources is part of the economy of RI. The present government has many times indicated its desire to increase foreign domestic involvement and is constantly attempting to ease the rules, albeit too slow for some, to expand foreign investment.

Supporting local business therefore means supporting the Republic's economy at large and isn't unique to Bali. Even large offshore corporations have to have their PT in Indonesia.
I have a friend who sells Bali carvings, Lombok textiles and Ambon cloves from a store in Jakarta. I've seen many stores in Bali sell culture products from Papua and foods from other parts of the archipelago. There are many Joglo's and Batik made in Bali which are actually native to Java.
VAT taxes generated from any purchase go to the central gov't in Jakarta as do income taxes and business taxes. The central gov't then distributes back to the 34 Provinces according to budgets.

To say a bank is uniquely Muslim or Hindu I would think hard to define. Nearly all banks, excluding those practicing Sharia or Islamic Development banking, are multi-culture/religion/public/private. There are Regional Development Banks (BPD) that are authorized by the federal gov't to offer, as the name suggests, loans for regional development.