comingtobali

May 20, 2015
Hi there,

I am exploring an offer from a western tourist place of business to live long term in Bali. The starting offer is 10Mil IDR / month but through research, I am finding it hard to see how to make ends meet on this. Especially with housing. To be in a safe, clean space (not anything extravagant whatsoever) with a kitchen a little outside the city centre is nearly half the salary. Is 10 mil realistic as a westerner and is there cheaper accommodation available for more of a place to live...rather than the ever so popular visit at a home stay.

Advice would be much appreciated.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
First thing you have to settle is will you have legal working permit?
And just checking that's about 750.00 USD. It can be done but not a decent rental or lifestyle.

And additionally (the edit) it may be cheaper to eat at cheap warung, food cart rather than cooking your own meals.

I wish you good luck with your dreams

Last edited:

comingtobali

May 20, 2015
Hi there,

I am exploring an offer from a western tourist place of business to live long term in Bali. The starting offer is 10Mil IDR / month but through research, I am finding it hard to see how to make ends meet on this. Especially with housing. To be in a safe, clean space (not anything extravagant whatsoever) with a kitchen a little outside the city centre is nearly half the salary. Is 10 mil realistic as a westerner and is there cheaper accommodation available for more of a place to live...rather than the ever so popular visit at a home stay.

Advice would be much appreciated.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
The question is also if it'd be more an "extended holiday" or you really have to work 60 hours a week....if this is just a "let's try it out and have some fun for some months and let's see" or a real job. 10 million is very low for a foreigner...I heard that some foreigners working for very low salaries as a teacher but they usually see this as a lifetime experience and won't last years? working permit is a good point too...without providing proper paperwork by your employer I wouldn't go for it these days

comingtobali

May 20, 2015
Hi Sherm,

Thank you. The visa cost will be mostly taken care of by the company. The exact details are forthcoming but I would be paying a less percentage of the total cost but that figure is certainly good to know.
I do like to eat quite healthy and vegetarian so I don't know if the warung would be a good option for me. I do not go out or drink much however so I could save there.

If I have some room to negotiate...how much more would be appropriate to ask for? I have the perfect if not over qualifications for the job and my availability to move countries immediately is a plus.

Can I ask for an additional 2 - 3 Mil more or more?? Percentage wise this would never fly in Aus or US but I don't know what it appropriate in this country?

Thank you again!

comingtobali

May 20, 2015
Hi Sakumbali,

Thank you! It is a full time job that I am very passionate about so the job is 40/week, flexible hours, but a real job with long term possibilities but also a lifetime experience. Yes.... this wage seems quite low so I would like to negotiate. I guess the next step is how much I can appropriately ask for.

Thanks!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
10 million a month seems very low. I know English teaching companies can get away with it because there are so many people looking for these jobs. If you want to do it for the experience that would be fine, but you could well have to dip into any savings you might have to have a decent life.

If you are new to a place you tend to spend more than someone who has lived here a while and knows the best places to shop/eat etc. You also need to factor in transport/insurance/flights (if not covered by company) etc.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
What's the point of earning just enough to get around. You will be on a tropical island and the only thing you'll be doing is work, eat and sleep unless you have savings or you go low budget on housing, food and so on ...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome to the forum comingtobali.
You say your indended employer is sharing the cost of your visa but I wonder if you are aware of the complexity for a foreigner to work in Indonesia.
Your employer will need to provide...
1. A temporary stay visa (Kitas) which lasts a year and is issued by Ministry of Immigration.
2. A work permit (IMTA) which lasts a year and is issued by Ministry of Manpower. The employer must submit details as to your unique qualifications and why a local cannot perform your function.
3. Provide US$1200/year as contribution to the Manpower Training Dept. to help with training a local to replace you.

Here's a useful link that describes some of those processes....Visas and Documentation - Information on working documents for expatriates in Indonesia

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
hi comingtobali, this youtube video is actually true and funny :https://youtu.be/qhhDYAidUsE

you will spend easy 50 % of your salary for an apartment (I reckon you work in the south), the rest of your 5 million / month : transportation & gasoline, food, leisure, sport (a decent gym costs money here too!). If you only spend 8-10 USD / day for food / shopping thats 3 million Rupiah / month!
What about insurances & taxes? I heard people saying that life in europe now is cheaper than Bali...

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Anything below Rp15million a month+ Rp20 million for housing per year+ health care + return airfare each year and the visa is included with the job offer.
People in Java would get double that but Bali is a lot lower, you can also try english first they pay about Rp6-10 million and you only need VOA.

G

Gurkha

10 million a month is low - ask for 50 + housing + car & driver + annual return airfare + medical evac insurance. That would be considered an 'average ' expat package.

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I don't know what Bali you all live in but seriously your advice is insane. 5 million a month for a kost? It had better be walking distance from the beach and/or have a pool. What kind of job offers all of the stuff you are all saying to ask for?
I think the most important question is what exactly is the job and then we can assess if the pay is low or not. It is entirely possible for a single guy to live here on 10 million a month if he doesn't drink in the tourist areas everyday. I can easly find a kost for 600 k with water and electric included.
I do not know where you are all getting your figures but if you are paying more than 2 million a month for a place to sleep you are wasting your money. Personally, I pay 12 million a year for a four bedroom three bathroom house and I live just outside Sanur.

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
Sidakarya, no hot water, no A/C. However you get a private bathroom and there is a kitchen. I sound like I am trying to rent it out. The point is that a kost does not need to cost 5 million. With A/C and hot water I wouldn't pay more that 2.5, and it had better be fully furnished for that much

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Personally, I pay 12 million a year for a four bedroom three bathroom house and I live just outside Sanur.

That's a great deal you got there. Is that a yearly 12 million payment or did you pay 5 or 10 years upfront?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I pay yearly.

Markit is right I do blow the landlord every Thursday, but that is just for fun. It isn't a factor in my rent.

With respect to your avatar I'd suggest you STOP what you do every Thursday and your rent might be reduced...better still...mention replacing with me, or Markit, and it'lll become even cheaper...:cocksure:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jeez Davita if you wanna blow his landlord every Thursday speak for yourself.

My Thursday blowjobs are already booked - as recipient, not provider, I might add.

Course there is always Wednesday or Tuesday free if you promise to take your teeth out and wear your pink Tutu?