balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Family and friends of a young man who has been locked up without charge in one of the world’s most notorious jails are campaigning for his release.

Mathew Davies appealed for help in a message sent to WalesOnline.

The 25-year-old travelled to Indonesia last year from his home in Blackwood, near Caerphilly, to take up a job with a computer firm.

But the job didn’t work out and last month he was arrested by police for alleged immigration irregularities.

Mr Davies contacted us from his cell at Cipinang Penitentiary Institution in the country’s capital Jakarta to tell us of his plight.

In a note smuggled to WalesOnline he said: “I am currently being held in most probably one of the worst prisons in the world – Cipinang, Jakarta. I don’t know where to start..

“I am being held under immigration law apparently. They have nothing to prove I’m guilty and are just trying to extract money from me, family or one of my friends, which none of us have, so I just can’t see my way out of this...

“The embassy don’t do anything to help me. They can’t get me out of prison, provide lawyer, translator or anything that would be beneficial for me at this moment.

“The prison is so corrupt. When I was first sent here I was put in a room of 300 Indonesian rapists, murderers, thieves and God knows what else. I was the only white person in there. I couldn't sleep – if I did it would only be for an hour with one eye open. Even then I had the little money I had stolen.

“They carry shanks made from toothbrushes and they were all after me for money or food, which they think I have lots because I’m bule [an Indonesian colloquial term for a foreigner}. I have to shower from a bottle of dirty water, the water is only switched on three times a day, there’s no air circulation and there’s diseases everywhere.

Read more: Get me out! Young Welshman's plea to be released from Indonesian prison where he has been locked up without charge - Wales Online

Fund raising campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/get-matt-out-of-cipinang

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
So he figured he could live in RI without any type of Visa and now has people raising funds for him ? real nice

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Total exaggeration regarding conditions. I have visited someone in three different pens, including this one. its not 5* but its not nearly as bad as this clown tries to make out especially the 300 to a room claim. course the answer is simple, don't break the law in foreign countries.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I tried google to get any other perspective on this case and all I found was sourced back to the above report by a Welsh Newspaper. Their information, as I understand it, originated from an apparent smuggled letter from the jail. I couldn't find any report from any Indonesian source or news.

The fund-raising campaign is an emotional plea for UK£10,000.....so far they'v raised UK£134.

Methinks they'd have more success with someone from Nigeria to be their fund-managers.

Appreciate if anyone has some other source of info.

Last edited:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Total exaggeration regarding conditions. I have visited someone in three different pens, including this one. its not 5* but its not nearly as bad as this clown tries to make out especially the 300 to a room claim. course the answer is simple, don't break the law in foreign countries.

Visited.uhmm but have you actually stayed Inside...to call another human being a clown, irrespective of what he may have done, is IMHO tidak bagus...

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
What exactly happened so he is imprisoned and not deported and blacklisted !!???

"immigration irregularities" ?

I think we are missing the big picture ...

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Maybe they waiting for his overstay to be paid ?

200k a day for more then 6+months and 300k a day july on ?

Or coffee money no collected from all concerned departments

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Maybe they waiting for his overstay to be paid ?

200k a day for more then 6+months and 300k a day july on ?

Or coffee money no collected from all concerned departments

Why wait ? Cut him open ... take liver ... kidney ...

BTW I knew a gut who overstayed more than 60 days, he refused to pay .. wanted deportation .. got it after 5-6 days of detention !
He got blacklisted for 5y to enter Indonesia ! And thats it .. fair and square !
So I doubt this guy got imprisoned just for WORK and STAY !

In Indo. anything is possible but I kind a doubt this is the case coz all article is about complaint on jail ...

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Visited.uhmm but have you actually stayed Inside...to call another human being a clown, irrespective of what he may have done, is IMHO tidak bagus...

Oh deary me I am so sorry you found the word clown so offensive, good job I edited the other c word that I used first then isn't it?
Come on Hen .. who else BUT a clown claims that there are 300 people banged up on ONE room.
FYI yes I have seen the actual inside of two nicks here, once as a visitor and once as an independent inspector for an NGO.
The Central Jakarta court holding unit houses those awaiting trial for up to 400 days, during visiting the detainees are free to mingle with the visitors and they can view the cells.
For a fee there are 1, 2 and 4 person cells, the remainder are in 8/10.
During the NGO inspection there were no more than 15 people in good sized cells and again, money bought privacy.
Conditions were by no means perfect, but nowhere near what Coco the Welshman describes.
If he was working as a waiter without a KITAS then he deserves everything he gets, I personally think he is a lying scumbag scammer ...

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Aye Hen maybe I am a clown, but I don't go begging money online and making outrageous statements and telling outright lies to get sympathy. By the way, having a life away from the internet is wonderful. Some of you should try it.

Last edited: