marklindsay

Mar 19, 2014
Does anyone have any recent info re the cost differentiation in regards 'masonry" based walling as compared to a lightweight , older style woven bamboo?
I am looking to reduce the heat mass and using Troppo Architecture's principal of reducing mass and opting for a lightweight bamboo wall system.
Maybe a double layer with an insertion between layers?
And would appreciate any info as to what savings there might be ( or additional cost)

Thanks

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think the additional cost will be the ongoing maintenance. If you are looking for cheapest (long term) I suggest going for masonry.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Remember bamboo in the sun and weather deteriorates and will need replacing in not too many years....also the beautiful golden bamboo look disappears in the weather.......stone much better....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
IMGP7611.jpgIMGP7607.jpg

I build this place last year and as you can (hopefully) see I used bamboo moveable walls on the living area. I stole their design from an existing building that has stood next to the ocean for 10 years and those sheets/walls don't look a great deal different than my newer ones - they wear well. These walls are a 1.6 by 1.2 meters and I paid a local handyman to knock them up for me after I supplied the bamboo. They cost 450,000 each and they are wonderful. I inquired in Bone (home of bamboo craftsmanship in Bali) by Gianyar and they wanted 1juta each.

My first house I used standard masonry and glass and regretted it immediately.

To live comfortably in the tropics you don't need big thick walls to keep out the heat but open areas to let in the view, light and breeze. I crafted these walls to be moveable to allow a degree of privacy when wanted but still allow for a free passage of all the above. For security get a dog or have feck all to steal.