Elis

Jul 1, 2015
Hey everyone!=) I am searching for opportunities to do social work in Bali. I am especially interested in working with kids, teaching english, teaching dance, working in a farm. All ideas and help with contact information will be appreciated! I am already enjoying the divine beauty of the island, so now would like to learn more about the culture and real lifestyle here;)
Thank you

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Here we go again...

Elis we get about once a month this query and if you'd like to check back the long answer hasn't changed.

The short answer hasn't changed either:

No, not here, it won't work, they will arrest you, forget it, enjoy the beach and beer and then go home to work.

That was the short answer.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome to our forum Elis. Nothing in Indonesia is ever that black and white. People do come and volunteer to assist orphanages, animal welfare groups, etc - and mostly they don't get arrested. If you Google "Bali orphanage volunteer" you will get the idea and also find a news article headed "Bali Orphanage Scam". I leave it to you to figure out how you want to proceed.

Elis

Jul 1, 2015
Ahh thanks Ronb for the encouraging post! I am quite optimistic and will do my best searching for the right place to help out and get some practical skills at the same time!;)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
To many my post above may seem harsh (trending?) but IMHO the misuse of young idealism and power that I've seen in Bali borders on a crime.

Many young people come here with a head and heart full of dreams to make things better (and also enjoy some quality time in Paradise) and are hopelessly abused. This ranges from working and living is a filthy garret to having their papers taken "to get a visa" and not returned until some god-awful job is done.

I would much rather seem harsh and point these generous young souls to some other, perhaps less beautiful, but therefore more useful to them and the world, realistic choice.

Bali is where charity goes to die.

I must be getting old - think I'll now go kick the dog...

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
images

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have many foreign and local friends, living permanently in Bali, who are members of the Rotary Club and volunteer for charities around the Island. In particular, the 'Smile' Foundation, for children with cleft mouths, are endorsed and funded by those volunteer members.
I recently went to a gala night in Trans Hotel where the whole event was organised, mainly by retired foreign volunteers, for this charity.
I will admit, however, the Indonesian Government is not helpful...even when it is Indonesian children that benefit.