ali alavi

Aug 30, 2009
Hi,

I am planning to visit Bali late March with a few of my friends as I want to talk to a few of the expats and get a sense of the place. My mid-term plan is opening a restaurant which I have already mentioned in a couple of posts that some of you might be familiar with.

But first things first. My travel agent canceled the Bali package and he mentioned a volcanic eruption. But I checked the news and found that in fact it had happened in East Java but the ashes were scattered in the Bali skyline so flights were not going in and out.

As I understand March is what you call low season for Bali. And I'm planning to come to Bali anyhow and regardless of what I've read but this depends on my friends as well. But is the eruption going to affect the in-bound tourism? Whats going on and what is going to happen?

Cheers,

Ali

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think flights to Bali were only affected for one day in the past week.

It might be a good idea to get travel insurance which covers for this. I would imagine that airlines would just put you on the next available flight.

ali alavi

Aug 30, 2009
:)

Thanks guys,

SpicyAyam, yes I was on the phone today asking the travel agent to cover flight cancellations and delays as well. Good point.:)

Rollingstone, buddy I've seen so much in my short life that hardly anything scares me. But being in charge of a group of friends traveling with you is another matter. I have to consider their well being.:)

Matsaleh, that's what I thought might be the case. I can't bug my travel agent about it and I understand why they canceled the whole thing. If it was a major problem maybe it would've got more than news paper coverage. :)

Cheers and hope to see you all when I get there,

Ali

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi,

My travel agent canceled the Bali package and he mentioned a volcanic eruption. But I checked the news and found that in fact it had happened in East Java but the ashes were scattered in the Bali skyline so flights were not going in and out.

Maybe you need a new travel agent. Yes the volcano is in Java, and when it belts out a lot of ash that drifts towards Bali, some airlines cancel - usually just one day. So your agents seems to be trying to predict ash problems in late March - but who can do that?

ali alavi

Aug 30, 2009
Ron, I totally have to agree with you on that. I'm very annoyed because I can't find a travel agent that is willing to help me out here. But I'm trying to find reasonable prices for tickets so I can book the needed rooms in a Resort somewhere between Kuta, legian, seminyak or even sanur. Its hard having to do everything yourself and getting reasonable prices to convince your friends to continue with the Bali vacation.

I'll be dismayed if this vacation gets canceled.

Cheers for the input. I appreciate it.:)

Ali

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Ron, I totally have to agree with you on that. I'm very annoyed because I can't find a travel agent that is willing to help me out here

Why even bother using an agent? There are plenty of reputable online booking sites available.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
A friend of mine in Australia recently sent me an email hoping that we weren't affected by the volcanic ash from Mt Bromo. Like matsaleh said above, I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Until I checked and found that many flights to and from Bali were cancelled.

Oh - and I did notice that my recently-washed car became very dusty too soon. I put it down to all the construction of new sewer systems where I live. Maybe Mt Bromo was to blame after all...

:icon_biggrin:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
I only book through agents if I'm needing accommodation, for the little extra you spend on tickets you can save a lot on hotels
I agree. If only coming for a short stay, sometimes it's cheaper to book a flight and hotel package through an agent, rather than booking flight and hotel direct.