Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Just read on TripAdvisor that Jetstar and Virgin flights Bali to Australia
have been cancelled just now due to volcanic ash
Can anyone verify this?
I cant see any other news about it

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Apparently a minor eruption. A good source of information is the Bureau of Meteorology out of Darwin:

Volcanic Ash Advisory 9

ASH TO SW FROM EARLIER ERUPTION HAS NOW DISSIPATED. TWO DISCRETE ERUPTIONS OBS MOVING SW AND DISSIPATING. HIGH CONFIDENCE IN OBS TIME STEP, MODEL GUIDANCE CONSISTENT FOR NEXT +6HRS.

IDD65310.png

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Apparently a minor eruption. A good source of information is the Bureau of Meteorology out of Darwin:

Volcanic Ash Advisory 9

ASH TO SW FROM EARLIER ERUPTION HAS NOW DISSIPATED. TWO DISCRETE ERUPTIONS OBS MOVING SW AND DISSIPATING. HIGH CONFIDENCE IN OBS TIME STEP, MODEL GUIDANCE CONSISTENT FOR NEXT +6HRS.

IMG]http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDD65310.png?20151127024641[/IMG]

Thanks im not good at reading these not as smart as most on this forum

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well geedee that funny little thing that looks like an Indian Tepee ... isn't.

It's Mount Rinjani the volcano.

So next to you look at that page and there's smoke coming out of the Tepee blowing in Bali's direction don't make any flight plans that day. K?

Most of us on this forum are able to keep up with root vegetables in a Mastermind game, barely.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Well geedee that funny little thing that looks like an Indian Tepee ... isn't.

It's Mount Rinjani the volcano.

So next to you look at that page and there's smoke coming out of the Tepee blowing in Bali's direction don't make any flight plans that day. K?

Most of us on this forum are able to keep up with root vegetables in a Mastermind game, barely.

Gee thanks for helping me understand and bringing it down to my level and here i was worried that Davita would give a long technical explanation which would be beyond me.

You are selling yourself and the others on this forum short in regards to being masterminds.
I actually remember reading a thread stretching 10 pages about a visa run which turned into 9 pages of how to heat up a meat pie

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Gee thanks for helping me understand and bringing it down to my level and here i was worried that Davita would give a long technical explanation which would be beyond me.

You are selling yourself and the others on this forum short in regards to being masterminds.
I actually remember reading a thread stretching 10 pages about a visa run which turned into 9 pages of how to heat up a meat pie

That's because...here in Bali...we don't have enough Australians to teach us anything...and the one's that are here are way too busy doing other things.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I flew back into Bali about 90 minutes ago. We flew quite close to the Rinjani teepee. This tells me that the problem is not here.
Mind you the bloke sitting behind me did cough a few times. Maybe he knew something.
Geedee there is a Kiwi bloke named Matt who is turning out great meat pies. Costs are 20,000 each. He has a great variety. His business is named Gimme Pies. The pies are delivered to my place in Sanur still warm. I have purchased about 400 of them. Before that fool comes out and makes some silly comment from his cave...I have even eaten two of them.
Markit darling, would you like some pies my little petal?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yup! That the same 400 (398 now) pies you've been talking about now for a couple months?

Even if you've kept them in the freezer for that long they are gonna be dry as a mother-in-laws farts so I'm gonna need something to wash them down with - got any ideas there?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
It never fails to amaze me you expats go to Bali "to live the dream" and then you greatly desire to eat meat pies.
I'm ashamed to say Its probably the thing that i would do.
Not sticking up for him or anything but maybe Markit is correct pretending to live like a local eating like one and shopping at their markets etc
Or maybe where he comes from originally the delicacies like chip buttys, spotted dick, semolina pudding,birds angel delight and warm beer are being resisted.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
"Not sticking up for him or anything but maybe Markit is correct"

My life is devoted wholly to selflessly helping others and to see such a comment makes a large tear roll down my apple-like cheek.

Why is it wrong to "stick up for him"?

Boyo, and you can fecking forget the "maybe" bullcrap real fast!

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
"Not sticking up for him or anything but maybe Markit is correct"

My life is devoted wholly to selflessly helping others and to see such a comment makes a large tear roll down my apple-like cheek.

Why is it wrong to "stick up for him"?

Boyo, and you can fecking forget the "maybe" bullcrap real fast!

You have touched me in a way I never expected from you
You having a tear running down you face is the sign of a true man.
Truly you are the real deal, an authentic expat among mediocre Sanur and Canggu dwellers
who stuff themselves with pies,who can't connect and blend in with the locals(mind you i don't think locals live in their areas).
A God among your peers and a man of dignity,respect and humility .
A man that the others aspire to be like but they can't reach the great heights and standards that you set.
If i have missed anything let me know.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Great! I would only suggest (humbly) to add: "exuding the heady sexuality of a young Sean Connery. Combining all in an understated combination of bald, beer-gutted comfort".

There, I think that completes the lesson.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Great! I would only suggest (humbly) to add: "exuding the heady sexuality of a young Sean Connery. Combining all in an understated combination of bald, beer-gutted comfort".

There, I think that completes the lesson.

I knew you wanted to be Scottish

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Mount Bromo is now spewing ash today. I don't think it will affect Bali unless the wind changes but well worth keeping a look-out for any news if travelling.
Surabaya. Jogja and Malang are certainly going to be affected.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Mount Bromo is now spewing ash today. I don't think it will affect Bali unless the wind changes but well worth keeping a look-out for any news if travelling.

Has this volcano affected Bali before?
Is that the Volcano in Jogja

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney

Where are you getting this info
Can't find anything about this?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry...I'd missed there were other posts.
Mt Bromo is indeed in East Java and closer to Malang. It is too far to pose a direct threat to Bali airport but can affect Surabaya and Malang.
Malang airport has been shut since last Friday due to the ash and has caused considerable delay due passengers having to travel by road (2 -2.5hrs) to Surabaya get on with their journey elsewhere.....even back to Bali.
If the wind changes to bring the ash to the east it may affect flights on that airway to/from Bali-Jakarta and my wife is taking one tomorrow morning...so far the advisories say the ash plume is travelling west.