Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I would be very interested to hear any stories of people that have overstayed their visas - not by a couple of days but possibly months or years.

We've all heard the horror stories "my friend new a guy that..." or "she said she'd heard about this girl..." but I have yet to hear from someone that has first hand knowledge of what the consequences are for people that just don't bother to get a visa here and what happens when they do leave.

From all the people I know no one has had their visa questioned EXCEPT when leaving or entering the country.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There are some stories on the livinginindonesiaforum.org.

If you know of someone who needs help, there is some useful information here: overstay 6 years on VOA - Page 7

Here's a post about a guy from Iceland who has overstayed since 2000 and still living in Riau (Sumatra) and there doesn't seem to be any solution to his problem:

Trouble, trouble, trouble...

Last edited:

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
There was an extensive discussion on this very subject elsewhere with several suggested solutions ... and someone chose to remove it then add some pompous remarks regarding 'supporting illegal activities' ... and there is a lot more could be said about that!

I personally know of five instances of overstay between 3 months and 5 years, all five got away with it varying in cost from a few hundred USD to zilch, for all I know the 'escape routes' are still being used so discussion in public would compromise other people's chances of using them.

Three I would class as 'victims' and two as 'assholes' who though they could beat the system.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I know of 1 person but only overstay of 32 days.Even with a Indonesian friend to speak for them at airport( yes there are ways to get in a ticket only area).They still had to pay all of the 200,000 rupiah fine per day

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Basically the Indo law says if it's an over stay up to 60 days then pay the fine and off you go. Over stay longer than 60 days and be deported and blacklisted for free. But don't think about coming back.

Now who knows anyone this has happened to?

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
There are some stories on the livinginindonesiaforum.org.

If you know of someone who needs help, there is some useful information here: overstay 6 years on VOA - Page 7

Here's a post about a guy from Iceland who has overstayed since 2000 and still living in Riau (Sumatra) and there doesn't seem to be any solution to his problem:

Trouble, trouble, trouble...
you mean the goody two shoes teachers forum but we all know what they have been up to....haha

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
... errr Klaatu would that be where the admins love quoting themselves over and over again and jump into every discussion issuing 'warnings' and 'infractions' to anyone who dares to question their knowledge or is perceived to threaten their authority?
Would it also be where the admins have multiple accounts and often pose and answer their own questions to promote their own commercial interests?
Would it also be what was once one of the most lively and entertaining forums in South East Asia before the 'teachers' took over ... ?
I think we should be told...

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
... errr Klaatu would that be where the admins love quoting themselves over and over again and jump into every discussion issuing 'warnings' and 'infractions' to anyone who dares to question their knowledge or is perceived to threaten their authority?
Would it also be where the admins have multiple accounts and often pose and answer their own questions to promote their own commercial interests?
Would it also be what was once one of the most lively and entertaining forums in South East Asia before the 'teachers' took over ... ?
I think we should be told...
Ha I even got a private message from one(mod) who said I broke her virginity coz I red bricked her

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
When I joined here I wss told all my questions were answered over there......I suggested back thrn, not knowing anythjng than my own opinion, that they were quite anal over there.

seems my view was not alone.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
... quite funny when you see the posts from 'new' members praising the 'wonderful' 'amazing' 'walking on water and raising the dead' acts of the Patron Saint of Expats ... and all of the posts contain the same grammar and spelling mistakes....