visa sosial budaya

adityawarman

Sep 29, 2007
spain
Hi to everybody
I will be going to Indonesia in November for a 6 months stay;I will have a sociocultural visa that at first allows me stay for 2 months and then I must extend every month after the initial 2 months has passed.Do I need to extend allways in the same place,or can for example I extend once in jakarta,another mpnth in Padang,another in Bali....Because I will be travelling around.If I make the first extension in Jakarta,then should I back every month to Jakarta to extend?
How much does it cost per extension?if I do it in Padang the extensions,where I have to go in Padang to do it?where is inmigrasi in Padang?can I do for example the 4 extensions together at once or must do it every month?it is a nuisance go every month to inmigrasi.Do I need first have a permit from inmigrasi in jakarta for this visa?how much it cost the permit and what do I need to do it and how long to do it the permit?can my friend in jakarta go inmigrasi to ask this permit and then he send to me so I go embassy with this permit to apply for visa?how the inmigrasi distinguish this visa from turist visa,as the code index is the same,but turist visa only can stay 2 months and cannot extend?
Best regards

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Do I need to extend allways in the same place,or can for example I extend once in jakarta,another mpnth in Padang,another in Bali....

As far as I understand, you need to renew your visa in the district of your sponsor. I know there are some regular posters on Thorn Tree forum - Indonesian branch who have some experience in travelling in Indonesia on a social visa, so maybe you could also ask your question there.

How much does it cost per extension
The cost of renewal will depend on whether you are doing it yourself, or via an agent. It used to be around 250,000 if you do it yourself, but that is a couple of years ago and it may have gone up.

if I do it in Padang the extensions,where I have to go in Padang to do it?where is inmigrasi in Padang
You should check with your sponsor, or with your local consulate.

can I do for example the 4 extensions together at once or must do it every month
You definately can't do the extensions all at once.

Do I need first have a permit from inmigrasi in jakarta for this visa?how much it cost the permit and what do I need to do it and how long to do it the permit?can my friend in jakarta go inmigrasi to ask this permit and then he send to me so I go embassy with this permit to apply for visa

There is not a 'permit' as such. Do a search on this forum for more details of what's involved in applying for a social visa. In a nutshell, you need a sponsor letter (original). you get an application from your local Indonesian consulate or embassy and you fill it out, and submit with the sponsor letter and other paperwork. There are also instructions on various Indo embassy websites. You cannot apply for the visa within Indonesia.

As to renewals, don't forget your sponsor needs to be involved in each extension and has to sign the new paperwork, and you need copies of his/her KTP.

Getting an extension usually involves -
A trip to immigrasi to get (and paying a small fee for) the paperwork. They are not particularly keen on giving you paperwork in advance and prefer you to get it when you need it.

Completing the paperwork and a second visit to Immigrasi to wait around for a couple of hours so you can submit the application - along with copies of sponsor letter and sponsor KTP, more photos of yourself cut to exact size (otherwise they are rejected), your passport, copies of your passport, several (indeterminant) copies of your application. A favorite passtime of my immigrassi office was to flick through the paperwork, find a form they wanted a copy of, and then send you off to find a photocopy business to get a copy and come back. Then they would flick through again, and find a different piece of paper they want a copy of and send you off again. One time we got sent off 3 times. Punishment for not using an agent and for refusing to pay a ridiculous extra payment :roll: After that I used to come armed with everything in quadruplet. Then they found something else to reject, and so the game continues.

You then get to enjoy a third trip when you go back in a few days (usually 3-5 working days) and wait around for a few hours then paying the money and getting your passport back.

On one of the renewals there is also fingerprinting to be done which is mandatory and costs extra. They don't usually supply anything for you to clean up with afterward, so take something with you.

It is not a fast process. It can be very frustrating. The social visa is not generally designed as a travelling visa. Indonesia believes 60 days is all that is required to visit their vast and beautiful country. :roll: :roll:

Don't get caught out, the visa is not in months, it is in sections of 30 days. The visa is for a possible total of 180 days. There is no guarantee that you will get 180 days, an extension can be refused if they think you are, or will, contravine the purpose of the visa, or if your sponsor does not sponsor you for the extension. The renewal is 30 days, not one month. You must submit for extension 10 days prior to expiry of the extension.

You can use an agent to handle your renewals, and given you are travelling around, you may want to consider that option. Bali Ide may be able to give you some advice on that.

Hope that gives you a bit of an insight into what you need to do.